Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ANNOYING VISTA PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

ShowMe

ShowMe

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, purchased July '09 with Vista. I like the computer a lot and it works well. From the very beginning, however, sometimes after shutting down, the light that indicates it is on / or charging, stays on. If I leave it alone, it will drain the battery. To shut it off, I must disconnect the battery and connect again. Next time I go to use the computer, a message appears that Vista shut down improperly, and I must hit <enter> and it boots up. Is this a known issue with Vista? Or a fluke in my system. Is there any way to correct this occasional shutdown problem? It usually shuts down just fine.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Make sure that there are no tasks scheduled to run or update at the time you're shutting down the computer.
What Anti-virus program do you have?

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Thank you for speedy response!

I have ESET Nod32, also run Malwarebytes, and SpywareBlaster. I doubt that this is malware related, since it has happened from the very beginning, like day 2 after I bought it. I am also very careful about shutting down. All programs are exited and I see no indications that updates are ready. This problem is intermittent and does not happen on every shutdown. I also carefully click the exit button.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
See if this tutorial helps your shutdown time http://www.vistax64....7-shutdown.html

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Thanks, I will try that. Thanks a lot! :D