Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a program to perform a certain task

• Please log in to reply

Katelynz

Katelynz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm having some trouble installing a video game on to my computer. I keep getting the same error over and over and have not yet been able to figure out why it was. At first I thought there were problems with permissions and the installer was not being allowed to write files to the folder it needed to. Needless to say it did not work.

I'm looking for a program that could possibly track what my computer is trying to do at any given time and ideally log it. If a program tries to move something somewhere it would see it. If something tries to write something somewhere it was would see it, etc. This would in effect allow me to see what exactly my computer is doing the moment this error occurs to possibly identify a solution better.

If this sort of thing doesn't exist please feel free to let me know that as well. Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What is the error message you're getting? When does it occur?

Katelynz

Katelynz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Posted Image

At first I tried the default program files and that of course didn't work. I tried granting permissions on folders I was installing to as well as taking ownership and that didn't work. I even granted myself full permissions for my entire C drive and it still won't let me install it.

:D

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why are you installing it on the Desktop?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Where did the disk come from?
Downloaded copy? According to Blizzard below they released the following statement.

Keep in mind that Blizzard didn’t announce it because the release can still be postponed, but as far as I know the target release date for Cataclysm is the first week of November (that would be November 2, if you like numbers). The first part of the Cataclysm prologue started exactly 8 weeks before that and the next part of the pre-Cataclysm event will probably happen in 2 or 4 weeks depending on their schedule.

Katelynz

Katelynz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's the beta client. And from emails I've interchanged with some of their tech support this client should install exactly like the live one, which worries me.

I was installing to desktop because program files hadn't worked, as I explained. I was just trying something different but it didn't help.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I assume the setup for the Cataclysm beta is an executable file? try running the install with admin rights (right click on install.exe and select "run as admin").

Katelynz

Katelynz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have tried that unfortunately.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Did you get an email invitation for your Cataclysm bata and did you download it through your Wow account?

There are heaps of scams going around. installation of key loggers on open etc. Read the forums, this is the EU site
> http://forums.wow-eu...817257312&sid=1 AS other people are having problems, you might get some help here.

Katelynz

Katelynz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I did just that.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Make sure you downloaded from the correct server, EU or US.

If you have not already done so, I would post on that forum as I think you will stand more chance of finding a solution.

Bartez

Bartez

• Pip
  • 8 posts
-

Edited by Bartez, 04 October 2010 - 06:36 PM.

Katelynz

Katelynz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I most definitely have enough space on my hard drive. I do, however, want to thank you for that program! It seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to work with it a bit and see if it can help resolve the issue that I'm having. I'll make sure to post back with what happens.

:D