Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flaming Mother of a board

• Please log in to reply

fatjohnny

fatjohnny

• Pip
  • 3 posts
;)

I built a budget DVD ripping system for a buddy at work and upon 1st power up I got a nice skanky smell and thought maybe it was just the thermal pad on the Sempron burning in, but in fact the USB header wires were melting and starting to smoke.

The system seems to be giving off a large amount of heat as well (All fans are functional, HS is correctly seated..

I get the "Splash screen" and the option to enter BIOS or view POST, but neither key functions as advertised (DEL and TAB respectively), making it look like the keyboard isn't functioning, however CTRL+ALT+Delete works.

I just had wrist surgery so redoing the mobo install because of the "Case Short" answer I'm afraid I'm going to recieve will be my last action......So please be creative.

I've checked all connections, also the DVD-RW doesn't eject, thinking I have a electrical type problem somewhere.

I've built about 15 systems so I'm psuedo competent, but definetely need a hand here. :tazz:

EDIT: The board is a Foxconn WinFast K7S741GXMG-6L, powered with a crappy PSU, but I'm running on board video and no PCI cards, so it should be more than sufficient.

Edited by fatjohnny, 25 May 2005 - 07:57 AM.

Advertisements

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
How many watts is your PSU? That could be the problem. If not, it's definately a problem with the cooling. Although i don't know why a computer without AGP/PCI-E would be overheating so much...

spudZ :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you removed all the USB connections on the motherboard now?