Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After c0000218 Registry Fail, what registry files use?

• Please log in to reply

blackbear

blackbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! Thanks. I noticed the ASR option, but I don't have a floppy drive. Tried to do it to cd, but it didn't like it.

Thanks for clearing up the sp info and options. I will definately do the slipstream after I get everything stable.

I'm thinking I ran the chkdsk under the user.domain login instead of my workgroup name. Maybe that's why it isn't found.

Thanks again for your help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The ASR is not critical, just make sure you back up the complete drive, as an image.
You can make it to a USB flash pen if your computer will boot from a USB flash pen.
Another good precaution is to use the backup provided by your hard disk manufacturer, for instance Western Digital provide their version of Acronis, which is simply a free limited version of Acronis.
I use it, as one of my backups and it is very good.

blackbear

blackbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! Thanks again. Will Accessories, System Tools, Backup, All Information backup everything I need? Or, is that more user information?

Do you have a link on how to do an image backup in XP? The ones I found were for Windows 7. I have a Dell Latitude D600. I do have an WD external drive I got to backup files to before I reinstalled SP3, but noticed it is FAT32 and looks like it needs to be NTFS? Can I put the image backup and other data on that same external drive?

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
See this
http://support.wdc.c...il.asp?swid=119

Yes you can put them on the same external drive, but do so in separate folders of course.

XP backup guide
http://www.microsoft...ackupfiles.mspx

and another backup guide
http://www.tweakhoun...p/diskimage.htm

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 October 2010 - 06:07 PM.

blackbear

blackbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! Thanks again. I'll check these out, but it won't be until Monday.

Have a nice weekend.

Thanks

blackbear

blackbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! An update. On Tuesday, I booted machine and got c0000218 error again. Followed KB article to replace registry files and (from another link I realized I needed to do part 3 also.) When restored, still got 218 until went back to a early Monday install. Seems like something is clobbering hive when shutdown. Stopped all services and changed msconfig to only start critical things. Have been able to reboot a couple times in row without 218.

Did a chkdsk and did find the error log. Showed a few minor inconsistencies, a few unused index entries, a free space marked as allocated, and it made corrections to file system.

After doing part 3, it thinks I have SP3 installed. But, everything is still not matching up between the registry and what's on disk (had installed .net 3.5, but only 2.0 in add/remove programs and had installed adobe reader 9, but only 7.0 in add/remove programs, etc.) I have not done the sfc /scannow as I'm really afraid it will think it needs to automatically replace system files and I haven't been able to make a slipstream of sp3 nor an image backup since everything isn't really "stable", yet.

Am continuing to reinstall things that it cannot run.

Revised - This morning c0000218 error again. I had run Windows Update, to see what it thought I needed to install. Listed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1... It gave 0x0643 error when tried to install from Updates. I tried to uninstall 2.0 sp1, 1.1 sp1, 1.1 from Add/Remove Programs, but it did nothing. So, I uninstalled all the .NET's using a .NET Cleaner from blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx. I had only reinstalled .NET 3.5 SP1 when I shut down last night. Is there something that is recommended or steps for registry hive errors? Or, should I post that in a new log to see if anybody has expertise in that area?

Thanks

Edited by blackbear, 07 October 2010 - 07:53 AM.