Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot Run "Help and Support" Function

• Please log in to reply

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I received a message to restart my Desktop PC to update McAfee.
The PC would not shut down and I was forced to swithch off/on.
On switch on McAfee Security Centre would not load.
I tried to reload from a restore point by running "Help and Support", and was unable to run the function.
Restarted in Safe Mode with same result.
Restarted in safe Mode with Command Prompt.
Tried to run it at the command prompt.\Documents and Settings\Administrator>%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
Nothing appears to run and comes back to the Command Prompt.
PC has XP SP3
Please help

Advertisements

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Problem solved
Downloaded and ran McAfee Virtual Technician which found 282 errors!
The VT was unable to fix most of the errors but enabled the "Help and Support" Function to load and thus a Previous Restore Point successfully.
McAfee was then updated and Windows Updated also.
Prior to this problem happening I had downloaded a Firefox "Add on", "Sync" to sync the bookmarks between my Desktop PC and Laptop.
I'm not saying that this was the cause of my problem, but as my Restore Point took back further than the download I will not be re installing the Sync Add on just in case.