Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Server static ip

• Please log in to reply

ron-scott

ron-scott

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Someone Help ????

I have a windows 2000 server and had a network card go down. I have since replaced the network card, yet cannot get a static ip address to stay. ( i am using terminal services behind a router, with "no-ip", and need a static mapping in my router settings to allow clients through)
Whenever i go to the network card's tcp settings, and enter the static ip (in my case 192.168.1.100), mask, and gateway and dns info, i click ok, it pauses, the window closes, then i go back in and my settings have dissappeard back to dhcp assigned. I tried another nic, same thing, won't stick. Tried changing pci slots, no-go. The card does work okay and i do have net and network access. I did try using the winsock fix available on the net that didn't help either. This is driving me frigging crazy. All searches on the net have proved fruitless.
Can anyone give me any ideas? perhaps i can hardcode into the registry somehow? If anyone has any clues plz forward while i still have a little bit of hair left.

Thanks!

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Is the network card the same as the one replaced? Did you try another new network card of another brand?

ron-scott

ron-scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I actually did add an identical network card, i happened to have one, but also tried a different one. I now have two installed on the server, but the second is disabled.
Original card was an SMC1244tx ( i know strange enough, never mind that i had two of them!). And also added a dlink 538tx. Both exhibit the same problem.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, it is not identical....no NIC is---different MAC address, which makes me wonder.

Tell us about your network...do you have a DHCP server? Is it set to reserve IP addresses for a given MAC address?

When you enter an IP address as static, then close, what IP Address does it have?

Start > run
cmd
enter

ipconfig /all

Did you try releasing the IP Address it has first?

ipconfig /release

ron-scott

ron-scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Gerry - tnx for your interest, appreciated...

I do not have dhcp enabled on the server... dhcp is controlled by the router, a linksys befsr41. Unfortunately this model of router does not have the option of reserving an address to a particular mac address (i have a router at another location that has this option which is great, allows the router to give the same ip to the same nic every time).
When i check it's ip, it does in fact have the ip address i originally tried to assign, so everything works temporarily. I am concerned of course that if the server restarts or anything else happens, it will get a new ip address from the router next time, and kill my terminal services etc.

ron-scott

ron-scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok more wierdness.

I checked again under the ip address settings, and it was all clear, dhcp assigned.
I went to a cmd prompt and tried to release and it said "no adapters have assigned address (or similar wording).(By the way, I had NOT tried releasing it first previously, good thought!)
so i clicked ok on the nic/tcpip settings, went back to a command prompt and type ipconfig /release and ghot the message 'an internal error has occurred, unplug the network cable and reconnect, or restart the machine'. Unpugging and reconnecting did nothing, attempting a restart now.

getting wierder and wierder

ron-scott

ron-scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok restarted...
checked ipconfig, had a different address. released it.
went to nic's tcp settings, added a static ip (tried a different ip address this time), added required gateway, dns etc, clicked ok. wnet back in, information all dissappeared again. Went to command prompt to check address, it has the address i assigned alright, but again same problem, if machine gets rebooted my router mappings will no longer work.
ugh

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The error after release is normal for a static assigned ip address.
The second error could just be a temp glitch.

So, given that hardware, this is just a small network/test network, not a production business setup?

The router you have has a lease life of how long ? Did you reset the router table in that before starting this off? Since it will retain the address for half the lease life, you are likely causing a conflict for the router, since it thinks the old NIC still owns that lease?

Is this the same IP ADDRESS the previous NIC was assigned (the one you are trying to assign statically)?

What if you assign it a different one? Stick? or not?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
we seem to be posting at the same time....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Even if you cannot reserve, you should be able to set a dhcp range on the router.

Set the range from 192.1698.0.5 to 192.168.0.100

Now, release the ip address on the server, then set it statically to 192.168.0.2 with the appropriate submask

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Are you certain you don't have dhcp running on the server...almost sounds like you do.

two dhcp servers on the same network equals headache

ron-scott

ron-scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Gerry -
Thanks again for your interest - sorry i never replied sooner.

In answer to your last question no, i did not have dhcp running on the server... have had enough run-ins with 2 dhcp servers on one network to know better!

I found a link on Microsoft's site on removing and reinstalling tcp/ip on a domain controller and carefully followed it (fairly comlicated registry intensive). Did not help at all... i retried every step we discussed and it was still acting wierd. in fact this server has a tape backup, and even restoring from tape did not solve the problem oddly. (Thinking back i did change to a different model network card before restore... thinking that complicated things too).

I am now in the process of wiping and reinstalling the server software... the best way i know to eliminate all conflicts and start fresh.

Thanks again for your help... gawd knows we tried!

-ron

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if it's not too late, I had a couple of thoughts, or at least work arounds..., for example, a simple script at boot up to assign a static ip...just a thought....for that matter, I wonder if a command line execution would unstick it.