Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor problems

• Please log in to reply

brucel

brucel

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Having sudden problem with my monitor. Windows was shut down for the night -- upon start up, an all blue screen appears. Can still read the screen, but with difficulty. All my color is gone -- just blue with print and icons in black or gray. Noticed last several days, the monitor would flicker (like a power surge) every so often. Is my monitor gone, or is there a setting I need to change, adjust, etc.??
HELP!!

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok i take that to mean you are getting into the desktop, right? and all the desktop icons are there, even if they are distorted?

brucel

brucel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Correct. Thanks for responding. I'm new at this, so bear with me.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok, being that i do this as a small bus., i have spare monitors and video cards at my disposal. So i switch out the monitor first, then the video card, thats if you have a video card. Some computers have built in video on the motherboard. Gerry is on monitoring this forum today, He seems expert level. Perhaps he will pitch in with his suggestions also.

brucel

brucel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Video card is built in. So it sounds like a monitor problem? Maybe I should try hooking up my laptop to see if it boots ok on that?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Good idea, that will prove the monitor is ok. Also, do you have a spare video card and do you know how to disable the video electronics on the motherboard?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I too am leaning towards a bad display--you have three guns in the back of a display firing electrons that illuminate phosphers on your screen...the symptoms you describes earlier are of one or two of these guns going bad -- OR, the cable is loose :tazz:

brucel

brucel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, guys. Many thanks. I'll try the monitor problem fix first. Negative on the video card knowledge -- I'm always happy just to be able to turn this thing on!! I've got to go -- late for an appointment. Really appreciate your help. If the monitor isn't the problem, I'll get back on line for more help, suggestions, etc. Appreciate the tips!! :tazz: