Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up programs

• Please log in to reply

Char55

Char55

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I constantly look at my start up programs and programs currently running.My computer seems to be alittle slow and I've been told
it could be due to this.I don't know when I look at them what I can or even should disable without losing it or harming my PC.
Can you give me any advice on how to make my pc run alittle faster?TY

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Take a look at Black Viper's 'Services' settings suggestions http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
For the moment press Windows + R and type MSConfig. Give it confirmation if asked, and go to the startup tab. That will list the Startup Programs being run. You can probably disable (by unchecking the box) most things there with the noteworthy exception that antivirus software and firewalls MUST be left on (since they legitimately have to be always running).

Even if you believe that you use a program (such as Microsoft Office or Adobe Reader) you will find that you can still load it when needed even having removed it from startup. For example Adobe loads itself every time your computer boots so that when you need to read a PDF it is already ready. Most people would prefer that it loads when you need it to read the PDF, and leaves the valuable RAM and processor cycles for applications that you are actually using! After all you might boot and shut down several times without touching a PDF.

Bear in mind that there are other reasons for computers to slow down.
Clearing Temporary files, defragmenting your hard drive, and, if you haven't done so for a while, simply restarting can have a beneficial effect.

Note that contrary to adverts running a registry cleaner is not a recomended way to try to speed up your computer; they cause problems and don't actually work.