Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARD DRIVE FAILURE

• Please log in to reply

BarkinSpyd3rs

BarkinSpyd3rs

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I turned On my 3 yr Old HP Pavilion DV9548US Laptop, and I got this Message "SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Drive 4 st98823as" and then it Ask me to Hit F1, well nothing happens. So I went down and purchased a new Hard Drive for it and installed it and I still get the same message. Obviously not real knowledgeable about laptops and their inner Working, so if anyone has an Answer for this Please let me know, THANK YOU! : )

BarkinSpyd3rs

Edited by BarkinSpyd3rs, 29 September 2010 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
smart means, Self Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology.

and when it fails it means in most cases that the drive is dead! you might have been unlucky buying a bad drive.
do you have a system where you can plug in the SATA drive? and see if it works on that one?
if the hard drive is working on the other system there is something else going on with your laptop
let me know if you have a system you can plug in to so i can talk you true what to do

D

this is what manufacturers advice to do when ran in to a smart error

159 SMART Error Self Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) Error returned during SMART Status/Self Test Command. The drive is defective. Replace. Replace Drive

Edited by dennisK16, 29 September 2010 - 02:06 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

and when it fails it means in most cases that the drive is dead! you might have been unlucky buying a bad drive.
do you have a system where you can plug in the SATA drive? and see if it works on that one?
if the hard drive is working on the other system there is something else going on with your laptop
let me know if you have a system you can plug in to so i can talk you true what to do

A SMART failure does not mean that the drive is dead. If the drive was dead they would be no SMART status to read.
Best advice to the OP is take the drive back for a replacement, but if you're going to get through two, three or four drives with the same symptom on every one of them, there's an issue with the laptop.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

A SMART failure does not mean that the drive is dead. If the drive was dead they would be no SMART status to read.
Best advice to the OP is take the drive back for a replacement, but if you're going to get through two, three or four drives with the same symptom on every one of them, there's an issue with the laptop.

so why does every hard drive vendor say that if a drive has a smart error it has to be replaced
I've tested over 1000000 drives and every single one that had a smart error is being send back to the vendor(if in warranty) or being scrapped (out of warranty)
the drive can't read or write and has no possibility to boot!
so doesn't that mean its dead?

BarkinSpyd3rs

BarkinSpyd3rs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well if there is another problem with the laptop other then the hard Drive what is it then? Thats why I'm here to Ask someone who knows.....

BarkinSpyd3rs

BarkinSpyd3rs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Unfortunately I don't have another Computer to hook the Hard Drive too.

I did Self Test in the BIO on the Old Hard Drive and this is the results:
Quick Test Passed
Comprehensive Test Passed

I did Self Test in the BIO on the New Hard Drive and this is the results:
Quick Test Passed
Comprehensive Test Passed

So does this mean that there is something Else I should look at?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi BarkinSpyd3rs
I suspect there is a problem with the part of the laptop BIOS that controls SMART on your system.
Read the info at the link below, it is explained in laymans terms (no disrespect intended)
http://www.pcguide.c...advSMART-c.html
Have you got some way of backing up the data off the HDD such as an external HDD enclosure.
http://www.newegg.co...6-003-_-Product
If you were having no other issues with your original HDD, after getting your data backed up
replace the original HDD back into your laptop, disable the SMART facility in your BIOS and see if
your HDD works normally, back your data up to the external HDD enclosure regularly.
See how it goes basically, at least if the HDD does fail your data is backed up to the external
HDD, if it doesn`t fail you know the issue is with the SMART in the laptop BIOS.

BarkinSpyd3rs

BarkinSpyd3rs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've gone thru every Setting in the BIOS and there is Nothing even labeled SMART in there.

As Far as doing a back up, well thats where the problem is, I can't even boot up to Windows to back anything up....

Any other suggestions?

Barky

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Doing some research on your laptop, will get back to you a.s.a.p
Clearing the CMOS by removing the MB battery to restore the default settings may do the trick.

BarkinSpyd3rs

BarkinSpyd3rs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I believe I might have fixed the problem. I noticed when I opened the back of the laptop that there is 2 Hard drives, One is a 80 Gig Drive and then there is a Second 120 gig Hard Drive, When I removed the 80 gig and replaced with new it started right up!

Edited by BarkinSpyd3rs, 29 September 2010 - 08:03 PM.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok good to know thnx for the update!
glad you got your problem fixed!

Edited by dennisK16, 01 October 2010 - 03:54 PM.