Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Power issues with Dell Desktop

• Please log in to reply

punishemd

punishemd

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 5100 desktop, purchased in 2005: Windows XP Media Center 2005 OS; Intel Pentium 4 Processor 650 w/HT technology (3.4GHz, 800FSB); 1GB Dual channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 400MHz (4x256M); 128MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory video cards; 160MB Serial ATA HD (7200RPM); Dual TV tuner card installed; 16xDVD-ROM + 16xDVD+/-RW. Issue is a green LED on the motherboard is on but nothing happens when I press the power button to turn the unit on. Did this once b4 and a friend said the HD was dead replaced it. Worked for awhile and now the same thing. Is this a HD failure or indicative of some other hardware problem(s)? Help.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Do you get a BIOS screen (Dell) or do you get nothing.
Is the light flashing?
My first thought is that the power supply is at fault.
You can have some power, but not what is needed with a bad power supply so you can have lights, but no boot.
If you do see the BIOS screen than it is not the power supply.
Oh, may I ask what your skill level is? Beginer, moderate, skilled?

punishemd

punishemd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hcfg,
I get nothing. The green LED stays lit constantly. When problem 1st occurred b4 my friend replaced the original HD I did get a blue screen at first and then nothing. With the new HD it worked fine and then nothing. I consider myself moderate on the PC...skilled on Macs as I used, upgraded, troubleshot on my old job. I have no equipment at home to test the power supply; hence, I'm seeking input here b4 buying another hd or seeking a repair shop.

Edited by punishemd, 29 September 2010 - 09:37 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Forget the hard drive, this is a power supply issue, or the computer was moved/bumped and the RAM needs to be reseated.
Do the fans spin?
I asked about your skill level because I wanted to know if you know how to reseat the RAM.
Remove the side.
Lay the computer on its side.
Gently press the latches at the end of your RAM down.
And then gently put pressor on the top of the RAM untill the latches click (you should hear them click).
But if your fans are not spinning it is more likely that your power supply has failed.
The best way to test this is to take a known good power supply and hook the wires up to your motherboard and hard drive.
You do not have to mount the power supply in the case for testing.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm

punishemd

punishemd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, I can handle that. No, the fan is not moving at all. Absolutely nothing. I'll reset the ram and c what happens.

punishemd

punishemd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Reseated RAM and still nothing. When I unplug the power cord, the LED next to the RAM goes out. When I plug the power cord back in the LED lights up and remains lit continuously. At this point I have to assume that it is a power supply failure and I guess I can take it to a local shop for confirmation and repair if I can get a reasonable price (versus purchasing a new pc).

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You can buy a power supply for under $75.00.
A repair shop will charge you more plus a labor charge.
Did you look at the link I posted explaining how to change a power supply?

punishemd

punishemd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, I bookmarked the link for reference in order to replace the PSU myself if determined that it is indeed the problem which seems to be the case. Thanks for all your help. I will post the outcome for once I replace the PSU if it resolves the problem in case it will aide others with a similar issue.

punishemd

punishemd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
By the way, where can I purchase the PSU you've suggested for that price ($75) to fit my Dell Dimemsion 5100? The standard PSU for my Dimension 5100 is rated 305watts. I would like to get something slightly more powerful. Would that require any hardware upgrades for heat dissipation? Thanks.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
http://www.tigerdire...=Power-Supplies

Take your pick.
I have had great service from tigerdirect. I usualy recieve the parts with in 5 days.
There is another web site called newegg that people favor.

You should not need any aditional hardware, the power supply should draw air from the inside and exaust hot air outside.

Internal components are not brand specific, you can put an HP power supply in to a Dell, or Gateway, or etc...