Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone critque my build plan?

• Please log in to reply

DEEPfrom1

DEEPfrom1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone, first post here. I'm just going to barge in with questions and hope for answers, lol. Anyway, a brief run down before I link everyone to death. I will be attempting my first PC build, I have been reading and reading and reading, I have compiled a wish list on new egg and hope for some input on my setup before I purchase things. I am not a gamer, at all. I have a flat screen and ps3 that gets used once a month. I just don't have the time!

Goal: I want the computer to multitask as fast as I do! I commonly have 15 taps open while browsing, many forums, pictures, information and music playing. My brain operates at 208 miles per minute and I would really be happy if my PC would.
I will also be using the computer to read over data logs from my drift car, running a few different engine management programs, the programs aren't super "heavy" but data logs from runs from the car including : Ignition timing tables, dwell, fuel tables etc etc (hope I am not speaking Chinese here.
** I will also be playing Blu-ray's from the computer to my tv via HDMI

Budget: I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I don't want a machine I will be happy with. I am willing to pay for what I need. Plus all my money goes right into my car!

What I have so far: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, WD caviar 500gb hd (brand new from newegg)

My list, for your critiquing pleasures;
Case:Sweet case
CPU:Overkill or underkill?
CD/BR/DVD:The cheaper the better
Mobo:So lost here, please help.
Ram:Somewhat lost here aswell.

Operating system: Hoping to run osx, snow leopard. If I am pissing in the wind here, say it!

If you gurus see anything that I am going overkill on, and there is some things I can change to save some cash. By all means, point it out.

Thanks for taking the time to read my book. I am very interested in learning the cpu world.

Here is a photo of my money pit, action shot at the Firday 13th blood bath event.
Posted Image

Thanks everyone!

Advertisements

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Operating system: Hoping to run osx, snow leopard. If I am pissing in the wind here, say it!

As far as running OSX, it's an Apple Operating system, not designed to run on any system not created by Apple. (Maybe someday...) From the sounds of the system you're wanting to build, you have two options; Windows (any version should run on this) and Linux.

DEEPfrom1

DEEPfrom1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's what I thought,but I read things about "Hackintosh" or whatever that is.

Anyone have input on the hardware selections?