Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

StormII.exe

• Please log in to reply

PhantomHunta

PhantomHunta

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After a spike in computer activity, of course like any person would: CTRL ALT DEL and i switched over to processes to have a look at what was causing it, I found two processes named StormII, constantly reopening themselves and causing great strain on the CPU, I also noticed down in the start bar, a little window, would pop up, but it went away before i could click it, or a name came up, so essentially it was just a blank icon that would come and go every 3 seconds or so.
So i ran a virus scan from MBAM (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) And it came up with a few random viruses, unrelated to StormII, and they were successfully deleted. Thinking i had won i went back to internet surfing, and then saw the icon again appearing.. So i went into the Task Manager and ended the processes, and started investigating. I went and downloaded 'Trojan Remover', did a full scan. Found a Trojan.Downloader, and that was deactivated, so I went and removed that from the 'Temp' folder in Documents and Settings, And then i decided to go get a screenshot of this process running, and post it here. But when i clicked MS Paint to paste in my screenshot, It opened up StormII, so I checked out the path, to see where it was coming from, and i got this as the target:

"C:\Program Files\WinPcap\StormII.exe" "C:\Program Files\WinPcap\Paint.lnk".

So i went to the folder, and found a file named StormII.exe, and i deleted it, as well as a config file, that was removed too.
And i emptied the trash. And i clicked Gimp2 (A program like paint) on my desktop and it was linked to the exact same thing, and it opened StormII once again.. So i went back to the folder and only the Config file was there, and i went into it

[Config]
LastTime=9/30/2010 12:02:35 PM
Run=1
LastIP=121.223.167.16

And i changed 'Run=1' into 'Run=0'.
It seems to have stopped the .exe from running when i click things, but now every single shortcut in my Start Menu and Desktop now is redirected to "C:\Program Files\WinPcap\StormII.exe" And has "C:\Program Files\WinPcap\-PROGRAM NAME-.lnk". After it.
If there is any easy fix for this please tell me.

Advertisements