Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accessing Hardrive on dead computer

• Please log in to reply

ziiggy

ziiggy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Sony Vaio blue screened a couple months ago, and now won't even turn on. You press the power button and the computer power button lights until you let go. That computer had all of my pictures on it, which wasn't that many, but I want them back. Is it possible to take the hardrive out to retrieve them? Should I even try walking into the Geek squad and asking them to do so?
Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Edited by ziiggy, 30 September 2010 - 12:17 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Assuming your Vaio has a SATA hard drive ...

Newegg.com > APRICORN ASW-USB-25 USB 2.0 to SATA Adapter - $19.99, Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.co...1-004-_-Product

Plug the SATA end into the hard drive, the USB end into a USB port, then wait a few seconds for Windows to get it setup.

That's it.

Load Windows Explorer ([Winkey]+[E] or click My Computer) and start copying files.

Note: Newegg also has IDE-to-USB as well as both IDE&SATA-to-USB adapters.