Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with XP / Terminal Services

• Please log in to reply

hackergal

hackergal

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi all - I would like to know if there is an easy way to get around setting up a thin client (dumb terminal) to run on XP Pro. I have set my administrative tools to have terminal services on, have created a user on my pc for the terminal with a password and I have given the terminal my pc's IP address and the username and password.

It will not log onto the network. I am not running a domian, only a WG, so I am presuming that this is the problem.

Does anyone know of a way around this as I have a client who wishes to use 2 of the terminals from his workplace at his home for the kids projects on Word and Excel.

Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm sorry...not quite following you here...what are you attempting to do?

You have an xp machine (??) with excel and word in, i dunno, an office, and you want to access that machine from, uhm, home?

What operating system is running on the other machines?

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I'm sorry...not quite following you here...what are you attempting to do?

You have an xp machine (??) with excel and word in, i dunno, an office, and you want to access that machine from, uhm, home?

What operating system is running on the other machines?

View Post

No, I have my own pc, with XP Pro and office and whatever else. I have a "thin" client - dumb terminal - has to boot off the network - it has no hard drive. These terminals usually use Terminal Services from a Server, but I was wondering whether there is some settings in XP Pro that can emulate the service so that the "thin" can boot off the network and open office etc. from the XP Pro machine.

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, no...not directly...the windows xp terminal services services is limited, a subset of the terminal services function on windows servers

It's purpose is to allow remote desktop connections from PCs with the remote desktop client, which runs on windows nt, 95/98, 2000 and XP.

These dumb terminals are connecting to...what ? A windows server?

I don't know, never tried, if you could access the xp machine through the windows 2000 server (for example) from the dumb terminals....

Or, there is also a web componant --remote desktop web connection....that needs to be loaded from add/remove programs in control panel.

Not terribly experienced with dumb clients, I'm afraid.