Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox won't open after antivirus scan

• Please log in to reply

aimi

aimi

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi, here's the thing. My stupid sister installed this 'smart security' software and the whole laptop went haywire! so i downloaded the malware's sofware as instructed in this forum and successfully deleted them. i rebooted the laptop and scanned for viruses using avast antivirus. and more than 1 thousand virus and trojan horse alerts came up! i moved it all to chest and deleted the viruses from the chest and that's when the problem starts. i couldn't open mozilla firefox. everytime i clicked on mozilla, a 'mozilla crash reporter' would come up and no matter how manya times i shut down, reboot and clicked on mozilla, the same message keeps coming up. thankfully, IE is still working fine (though at the beginning, it didn't work). is there any ways of solving this problem?

here's a snapshot of the events:
-downloaded smart security-
internet were messing up.
so deleted any smart security shortcuts from desktop, menu bar.
went to mozilla but couldnt get access. message: proxy server problem
managed to fix it by going to internet options and fiddled with the proxy server tick boxes and mozilla worked hurrah.
-next morning opened the laptop-
as windows were loading up, pop up messages saying cannot find file in this 'url' which i recognised as smart security.
i copied the url and pasted it in the computer's address bar and smart security came up ><
went to this forum and downloaded malware protection software. 102 items detected so i deleted them all.
next reboot, ran through avast antivirus and a thousand of virus and trojan horse alerts came up!
after moving them to chest and deleted them all, tried to go on firefox and message 'crash reporter' came up!
went to IE and it wouldnt open due to connection error(though my wireless connection works fine)
did system restore from last week, firefox still a problem but IE works.

Advertisements