Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer build

• Please log in to reply

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, I've been lookin round a bit and it'd be great if anyone can tell me if this is any good:
Graphics card: Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB DDR
Motherboard: Abit AV8-3RD Eye Skt 939
CPU: AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3200+
Hard drive: Western Digital WD1200JD 120GB Serial ATA150
Memory: Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory Module(x2)

I'm not sure about the graphics card. I think I might use my old rubbish one from my current computer and save up until I can afford a better one. That'll probably save me money in the long term.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisements

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi dancingcleo. First of all, what will you be doing on this new computer, because if you aren't planning on playing any games such as Doom3 or other games with high system requirements, i would leave out the 1024mb RAM and stick with 512mb. The graphics card you have chosen is also a good selection, but personally i like PCI-E better then AGP 8X, but it's your choice. Other then that good choice for parts.

-spudZ :tazz:

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I doubt he would be getting a 9800 PRO unless it was for games. I could be wrong though. Has the 9800 PRO become mainstream since the release of the X800?

Anyways, staying on topic... I think you have a pretty solid machine there...

and I agree with you on saving up for a better card. The 6600GTs are a way better pick. They are dropping rapidly in price and pretty soon will match the price of the 9800 Pro.

Comparing the 6600GT vs. the 9800 Pro...

Hope this helps you decide!

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yeah, the comp's for games. Thanks for the feedback, I thought it sounded like a pretty solid comp, but I wanted to see what u guys thought before splashin out. I think I will use my old graphics card and then upgrade when I have more money.