Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD Stop code 0x000000ED

• Please log in to reply

denise_ewell

denise_ewell

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, hope you can help,

I have a Dell desktop running XP home edition which was fine yesterday. Today when I turn it on I get the BSoD which says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME and has STOP code 0x000000ED followed by other codes which vary but generally begin with 0x8A7A...A similar thing happens when I try to run it in safe mode.

I have read the posting about stop codes but not sure that all the stuff about cables can apply here.

I have tried to follow the instructions for the windows repair tool (haven't found the repair disk but have downloaded something and used that) but it says it cannot find the EULA so can't continue. (I tried following instructions in another post first, which weren't quite the same so am worried I might have done something wrong).

Any ideas please? Please explain clearly as I am not a techie.
Also I haven't done a recent backup so if it isn't going to be fixable is there any way of retrieving data?

Thanks
Denise

Advertisements

JustLiam

JustLiam

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Denise,

I too just received this issue but a little more on going and more issues leading up to it. However its your post so Im here to see if someone can come up a fix for your issue.
What I can say but doubt it will work is I just read while looking for a fix a possible fix. This is assuming your running xp. But here you go... hopefully it works for you. Doubt it will for me but you might be alright with this.....

1.Boot up your computer to the Windows Installation Disc (You may need to press a button like F12 to see the boot menu)
2.When the Windows Welcome Screen loads press the R key on your keyboard
3.Once you get to the command prompt type chkdsk /r then press Enter
4.When the check disk is complete you will be returned to the command prompt
5.Type fixboot and press Enter
6.When the fixboot is complete, type Exit and press Enter
7.Your computer should reboot and your problem should be gone.

Good Luck Denise

Liam

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello denise_ewell.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :D
;) ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon
as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
then.
Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
clearer for you. Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
make sure they will not cause any further issues.

First is the drive seen in the Bios?

I have read the posting about stop codes but not sure that all the stuff about cables can apply here.

Did you try to change the data cable out?

I have tried to follow the instructions for the windows repair tool (haven't found the repair disk but have downloaded something and used that) but it says it cannot find the EULA so can't continue. (I tried following instructions in another post first, which weren't quite the same so am worried I might have done something wrong).

What exactly did you download and from where? There are lots of miracle recovery disks that simply do not work.

Also I haven't done a recent backup so if it isn't going to be fixable is there any way of retrieving data?

This will depend on the Hard Drive being Mechanically working, the Controller on the Motherboard working and the Cable itself.

Let us know what your results are and then we can continue, ;)

denise_ewell

denise_ewell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for your help but I have just managed to fix the problems using info found elsewhere (using Puppy Linux to retrieve my files and a borrowed Windows XP disk to repair the errors on the hard drive).
Denise

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thanks for letting us know and good luck with your system. Thank you for allowing us to attempt to assist you.
Congratulations for resolving your issue. :D