Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

using a dell xp disk for hp computer

• Please log in to reply

britchix

britchix

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a hp notebook that has linux on it. i want to convert it to xp. i have an xp disk that is from a dell computer would i be able to use this to install windows xp. this is a new and unused disk.

thanks.

Advertisements

PoppaSteve

PoppaSteve

• Pip
  • 8 posts
It may or may not work for the install. But it will probably not work for activation purposes. I've had Dells where a Dell OEM disk worked for a time and then would try to reactivate after 30 days and be rejected.

It would be the same for a non-Dell PC, I imagine.

britchix

britchix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok wont do it. have to try to purchase an xp disk for hp. thanks very much for you help. appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you contacted HP to see if they may have a recovery disk for XP?
It should be less then 30 USD and will include all drivers also.

britchix

britchix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks. that is not something i had thought of. will give it a whirl it cant hurt. thanks.