Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! My PC is so SLOW!

• Please log in to reply

Lead318

Lead318

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi! I'm new here so please bear with me.. and I really really need your help..
My PC is super duper SLOW.. like, if I want to open a site, especially google docs, it takes forever and I can't even scroll down the pages without it lagging. As well as other sites and programs. I can't even have a decent conversation using Skype. I've already done a disk cleanUp, defrag and others.. I'm really not sure where the problem lies, but here are my PC's specs;

Windows XP Professional SP3
Asus P5PE - VM mobo
Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz Dual Core
80GB DDR
1GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 128MB

Is there something wrong with my CPU? Do I need to change anything?
My PC is my JOB, everything about my job depends on it that's why I need it to function in it's full capacity and performance.
The reason I posted it here in System Building and Upgrading is, if it's no good anymore I'm planning on building a new PC with these specs;

Windows XP
Asus P5KPL or PQ5 P45 mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 or Q9400
2GB DDR2 Memory
500GB SATA Barracuda
GeForce GF210 or GF9400

Does each of those specs complement each other?

But if my wxisting PC can still be salvaged, it'll be a lot of help and savings for me.
Please, please, please! I need your help. thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Lead318 :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.
Unfortunately due to the age of the present MB any upgrades available would be minimal and have the same effect, much better to try and speed your present system up whilst assembling new parts!
First thing I noticed was the 80GB HDD, how much free space do you have on it?
To try and tidy up your HDD download and run Autoruns from here http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx and follow the instructions below;
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.
Then run this http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should re-boot automatically when this has finished but if not do so manually.
Your add on video card could also be getting tired but as it is an AGP type a temporary upgrade is not an option unless you could get a guaranteed working used one for a very small amount of money, if you are not planning on playing any games if the above does not improve things you could consider removing the present add on video card and use the MBs onboard video to see if that helps.
When was the last time you cleaned out the inside of the computer case?
I will look at your planned upgrade components later but for now we need to know what your present computer case is and the psu details, make and model please.

Lead318

Lead318

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Phillpower2.. I'll try that one first. Oh.. I'll do it now.. :D

Lead318

Lead318

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Right now I only have 24% free RAM with only one site open and google docs.. ugh..

Lead318

Lead318

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Phillpower2, here I've already attached the Autoruns.. unfortunately it's still very slow. might need to open my cpu case to check the psu. the last time it was opened was a week ago when I bought a new dvd writer.

Attached Files

Lead318

Lead318

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
and I've already checked my psu, it's Orion 400W (AC Input: 220V/4A/60Hz)(Fuse Rating: F8A/250V).. Does it helped? I've also removed the video card but didn't make any difference.. please help me.. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Right now I only have 24% free RAM with only one site open and google docs.. ugh..

Not sure what you mean by this!
What we need to find out is how much available space there is on your HDD for data to be written/stored to.
Ram has nothing to do this, Ram is the memory that the system uses to carry out its own operations and you
do not save data to it, there is obviously a more appropriate technical way for explaining what Ram does so here
is a link to look at http://wiki.answers....computer_RAM_do
One of the Techs will have a look at your Autoruns log and advise you if there is anything that can be removed
to free up some space, you do seem to have a lot of bits and bobs installed, Google and Yahoo for examples!
You could possibly help things along yourself by going into the "Add/Remove Programmes" in the control panel
and un-install any old programmes that you do not use, only un-install an item if you know what it is, if you do
not know what it is please leave well alone.

In order for your HDD to function correctly you must always have a certain amount of the total HDD space available
for Windows to save restore points/shadow copies, about 15% of the HDDs space which if my maths
is correct you need to keep 12GB+ available at all times.
Here is a link on how to find out how much space you have on your HDD and why it is important http://www.computerh...es/ch000369.htm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The psu information does help but at present only when looking at upgrading, I may be wrong but I don`t think it is responsible for the slow pc.
Ive got to go back to work now so it will be in the morning UK time before I can check back but someone else may be along to assist you meanwhile.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have looked at your Autoruns and there are a couple of things that can be removed but a Red Flag is showing.

+ " L i m e W i r e O n S t a r t u p . l n k " " L i m e W i r e " " L i m e W i r e , L L C " " c : \ p r o g r a m f i l e s \ l i m e w i r e \ l i m e w i r e . e x e "

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Lead318

Lead318

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks so much Phillpower2 and rshaffer61.. I'll do what you've instructed and I'll post it here. thanks again! :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do not post the malware logs here as we do not use those logs. Start a new topic in the Malware Forum and attach the logs there. Once the malware techs have certified you healthy then return here if the issue is not resolved. We will continue from there in resolving the issue.

Lead318

Lead318

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've already done a malware scan but it says no infected area/program.. what to do next..? do I need to change or upgrade any of my pc's specs? thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Lead318

Lead318

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi rshaffer61. here's the summary and screenshot I got from everest. thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• sensor scnsht.JPG

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nothing unusual in the screenshot or Everest report..

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
If this does not work then:

Go to:

Start and then My Computer
Right Click On "C" drive and then click on Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25