Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP multiple random BSOD and other issues after initial BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Synchro327

Synchro327

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am running Windows XP SP 3 on a Dell Latitude D820

A while ago I got a BSOD out of the blue and after restarting the computer it worked fine...then things got worse.

I have had:
-multiple BSODS with various error codes (BSODs happen on startup, shutdown, randomly throughout the day)
-sometimes the computer loads with inverse colors (or just generally messed up colors) and a resolution that makes it impossible to work on the computer (it is low that everything is magnified and my desktop icons combine).
-sometimes when logging on the following message appears:
"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the
default profile for the system.

DETAIL - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested
service."
-yesterday: This is probably not related (I connected through a old surge protector)
"the ac power adapter type cannot be determined. your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. please connect a dell 90w ac adapter or higher for best system operation to resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter. strike f3 key (before f1 or f2 key) if you do not want to see power warning messages again. strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run the setup utility. ppress f5 to run onboard diagnostics."

What I have done:
-computer is up to date on all software, also updated driver for graphics card
-ran Symantec antivirus, CCleaner, Spybot S&D, and MBAM, all comes up clean
-ran chkdsk (comes up clean)
-attempted system restore (it can never complete says "there have been no changes") [this is incorrect, many software additions/updates]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Synchro327, 01 October 2010 - 06:46 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look at this pageand run Dell's diagnostic tool, following the instructions.

Synchro327

Synchro327

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot to mention that I already did this. Showed no errors.

Synchro327

Synchro327

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What should I do nexT?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download memtest from the link in my list below, create a bootable CD and boot with the new CD. Let the program run at least one complete pass and report if there are any errors (red lines).

Open device manager and expand Display Adapters. Right-click the driver and uninstall it. Reboot and let windows reinstall the driver.

If there are no memory errors and driver replacement doesn't help then I suggest that you take the computer to a decent lab. My impression is that the problem is with the video card or the monitor system. This will require opening the computer and replacing parts.

Synchro327

Synchro327

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ran memtest last night (7 passes) no problems. Before I did that I increased the virtual memory [saw an issue with ntos](the graphics problem seems to be gone). I also used User Profile Hive Cleanup Service from microsoft, the "cannot load your user profile" error hasn't come up since I did that. Still had a BSOD thought, I looked through event planner and it repeatedly says that service control manager failed to do something because there is not enough storage available (have 31GB of free space). I'll see if the drive for the display adapter changes the BSODs.

Thank you.