Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Can't install Java

• Please log in to reply

inthewoods

inthewoods

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am having a problem installing a new version of Java. I have been working in the malware forum to take care of some issues and we are hung up on installing Java. I have removed the older versions of Java but in my add/remove programs list it shows that Java™ 6 update 18 is still on my system. It does not give me a REMOVE button because we are pretty sure it has been removed? When I try and install the new version of Java file name "jre-6u21-windows-i586.exe" it attempts to remove or install the old version of Java and gives me the following error:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter and alternate path to a folder containting the installation package 'jre1.6.0_18-c.msi' in the box below."

I push Cancel and it gives me the next box "Error 1714. The older version of Java™ 6 Update 21 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

Here is a link to the post we have been working on. Thank you for your time.
http://www.geekstogo..._gopid__1907881

Advertisement

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
Download the program Javara that should help you remove any old version of Java.

http://sourceforge.n...rojects/javara/

Hopefully this will help you

inthewoods

inthewoods

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I downloaded JavaRa and it did a great job at removing one of the versions of Java I had but I still have this issue. JavaRa can not find the problem I am having now.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
You could try to Uninstall Java using Revos Uninstaller, it is a good free program to remove applications, if Revos sees your old version of Java it will remove any files and registry entry left on your computer even if that version of Java own uninstall.exe is not working properly.

inthewoods

inthewoods

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have downloaded and used Revos and it does try and remove the program. It wants to delete many files from the registry. I am a little hesitant to do this because its a little beyond my skill level. It seems the program does a great job of finding the correct registry items to delete but is there anyway I can be sure? Registry entries just look like a bunch of numbers to me. I have created restore points and revos automatically creates me one. I am just wondering if it is wise to trust this program before deleting my items.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
This program has never caused me any problems, it help me a lot of times to delete leftovers files from trouble programs.

If you did a restore point before you should be able to delete what revos suggest without any problems.

But if you wanna be sure before, somebody else here can offer you more advice.

inthewoods

inthewoods

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ah it worked. I stopped being hesitant and just did it and it worked beautifully. Thank you very much!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
Glad to know your problem is solved.

Advertisement