Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

runas doesent work with msi packages how to avoid relogging?

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i was trying to install some administrative tools on a computer running a restricted account so i opened a command line and entered runas /user:domain.local\techaccount "\\server\path\installer.msi"

it proceeded to give me an error that the file was not a valid win32 application. it is annoying to keep having to log out and switch to the administrator account. is there a way to run an installer package as a domain tech without having to relog most executable files have a option on right click to specify the credentials but installers dont it is very odd??

Edited by mikeloeven, 01 October 2010 - 01:18 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
To install from a restricted account have you tried right clicking on the .exe or .msi file of the program you want to install and choose RUN AS... and then choose the administrator account or other (then enter password if any).

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Unless I am missing the point, if for example you were talking about the administraive tools in Control Panel, say event viewer, then you would right click, click properties, click security and enable full control or whatever you wished for the limited account.
Depending on what you were installing the procedure to the program may well be the same.
I am reasonably certain, I am missing the point, as the opening of the command line suggests you may well have the knowledge in my answer.

See this for further details
http://www.theelderg...ent_console.htm

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 October 2010 - 06:37 PM.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
exactly my point runas from command line doesent work
and the runas right click option shows up on exe files but the run as option is missing from msi installer packages. i could try stopping the msi service and having it log in as the domain administrator than running the package.

this is just one more thing in the nightmare i inherrited from the previous technition who actually made the domain. it is a really smallbusiness with only one server for the DC fileserver and email which also stores the user profiles so as you can guess the thing is really slow because noone ever bothers to defragment the [bleep] thing while trying to do to much with it. the guy who setup the systm was a paranoid security nut and locked the thing down like the pentagon using about 10 times more security than was nesicary. not only that but he didn't leave behind any documentation on his GP settings so i am basically walking around blind in a minefield. trying to fix all the little annoyances he caused.

next time that server crashes i am dumping the whole thing and going back to a ad hoc workgroup

Edited by mikeloeven, 01 October 2010 - 03:03 PM.