Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Has Mozilla Been Trumped by Chrome?

• Please log in to reply

Danc20

Danc20

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I've heard quite a few people get excited about Chrome and that some of these people even convert from Firefox to Chrome. Do you share this opinion/experience? Is Chrome better, more secure, or just the same as Firefox?

Edit: Arg...wish I could have put this in a different section, but I can't move it or delete it! Feel free to move.

Edited by Danc20, 01 October 2010 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Danc20...

Chrome is a pretty slick browser and may be somewhat more secure than some other browsers, but it's main attraction is that it's fast.

That said, it is a very minimalistic interface. If you like a full featured browser, Chrome is not for you. If, on the other hand, you don't use the features on the full featured browsers, you might just like chrome.

Personally, I'll stick with Firefox.

Oh.....I moved your topic to a more relevant forum... :D

wannabe1

Bartez

Bartez

• Pip
  • 8 posts
-

Edited by Bartez, 04 October 2010 - 06:36 PM.

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Sorry for pulling this up from the grave.

Thanks for replying and moving it Wannabe1 :D. Now I see the difference, I knew that it was faster, but a "lite" browser sounds icky, thanks for the opinion ;).

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
My dad doesn't like me installing stuff so I can't really do it :/. I've heard Firefox people have been swayed and not swayed so I guess it might be pretty even in features, except perhaps for it's original state (extensionless?). Either way I am glad there is a browser out there grabbing people from IE.

tazz123

tazz123

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hey dear all, i am using firefox and Chrome both,, chrome is good and more lite than any browser, but we cannot compare it from FIREFOX, firefox was best, is best and will best ,, i m saying this cause when u need to install addons in your browser then 90 % addons works on firefox so firefox is little heavier than chrome but with more features and addons i recommend firefox to be my default browser still..

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Another glaring omission in Chrome is the lack of a 'Print Preview' which is a "must have" for many people.
At least it didn't have in the last version I tried 3 months ago.
Also I don't like how it deals with Bookmarks. It's fast alright, that's the only reason I tried it, but it's Firefox for me.

10 tb ChiPZ

10 tb ChiPZ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
in every browser theres an specialties
Mozilla Firefox: (i haven't tried this)
Google Chrome: fast even on slow net
Opera: has a ability to boost speed(but i think it don't work)
Windows Internet Explorer: secure surfing (slow on slow net)

it all depends on the system and internet speed. :D ;)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Computerworld > Firefox 4 regains speed mojo

Beta 7's new JagerMonkey compiler puts Mozilla browser in No. 2 speed spot

By Gregg Keizer November 11, 2010 03:10 PM ET

http://www.computerw...ains_speed_mojo

With the release of Firefox 4 Beta 7, Mozilla returned to near the top spot in browser performance rankings.

Posted Image

Edited by SpywareDr, 12 November 2010 - 03:11 AM.

Papissama

Papissama

• Pip
  • 2 posts
not yet brother, not yet

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

@thirdspaceme

No-offence but FIrefox is a quite clunky and heavy browser. Yes, its fast, but its UI (as of Firefox 3.6.x) is not sleek - Chrome, Safari and Opera are. By the way - You have to give Chrome time to mature (if you think not) as its fairly new in the game, compared to Firefox - The Grand-Daddy.

Don't think so. An user interface focuses on usability, not on sleekiness. A shiny but hard-to-use browser is just bad.
In my opinion, all browsers available are equally matched in usability, but Firefox is still my first choice due to it being a tried-and-true, extensible browser. Chrome is known for its raw speed, but I myself has never noticed a significant speed advantage over all other browsers, except IE. Extend Chrome with addons, and it loses its biggest advantage.

I think the choice of browser is just a matter of personal preference. A browser is good as long as it is responsive, friendly and secure.

P/s: Try out Firefox 4 beta. It looks much nicer than 3.6, and starts up faster too.

tazz123

tazz123

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Chrome is a good work by Google.. its lighter , its fast.. but i believe and experienced Firefox is best choice for me .. cause it is rich in plugins and supports all add-on which download videos, run online games, while chrome is less featuring in plugins yet..

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Are you saying the Chrome is hard to use?

Yes, its simplistic UI is just inconvenient. I prefer Firefox's interface.

What makes Firefox a "Tried-and-true" browser, I don't get it?

It has been there for 6 years, not counting Netscape, and is pretty stable. It rarely crashes.

What advantages are you stating that I'll use with Chrome addons?

Speed. Chrome is really fast, but whenever I install an addon, it slows down to a crawl. Don't know if this is just me or because of the dev version I use. Fx has far more addons, and the slowdown on Fx is far less noticeable.

In short, I guess that I will stick with Fx for now.

seelisilus

seelisilus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I really like Firefox the best but since it slowed down considerably on my computer mid of october(and i don't know why), i'm forced to try Chrome. It's simpler yet faster, but if i can get to run Firefox the way it was when i started using it, i'll definitely go back and make it my default browser. Wish i knew what's slowing it down.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
try creating a new profile. a big, bloated profile is usually the cause.