Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 8 only can be viewed in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

laptopchick

laptopchick

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am new to this forum and having some problems with my old laptop. I am currently using my desktop pc because my laptop will not access internet explorer. I have done some troubleshooting on it. By some, I mean that I have been at this for over 8 hours straight. The specs on my laptop are:

HP Compaq Presario F700 Notebook
AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Proc. TK-57 1.90GHz
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2
IE 8

not sure if you need more than that....

Exact problem:
Connection for LAN is there. It is a wireless router that my desktop pc shares. (the desktop connection is perfect.) However the laptop that shares this connection will not work. The exact page that EVERY internet page pulls up is: Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage

My troubleshooting steps:
Diagnose connection problems... Windows cannot find any problems with this computer's network connection.
I have turned off the switch for disabling the LAN, shut the pc down, unplugged the router for 1 minute and then reconnected and powered both on. Nothing. I have tried to visit a secure https site.. nope
Delected browser history and whatnot...
Tried the no add-ons mode.. no
Disabled internet security to no avail. Norton is not working right now anyway and I cannot uninstall and reinstall. I cannot access it at all and cannot download the removal tool...
Windows has not assigned me an IP address (whatever that means)My IP add does not start with 169.x.x.x
After testing it in safe mode I found that I have access there.. Lot of good that it does me.
No third party service is interfering with it. I have checked half them and then the other half neither one of them helps.
Neither does deselcting programs in the startup programs list work to fix the issue.
System restore will not work properly. After restoring to point and restarting it says that it was unable to do it.
reset IE settings....

I think that is all. I may have forgotten a few steps. lol
Please help me.

Edited by laptopchick, 01 October 2010 - 07:51 PM.

Advertisements

DavePaulson

DavePaulson

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
If you haven't already you could try reseting your IE settings to defaults. In internet explorer go to Tools / Internet Options/Advanced Tab/ Reset. This could also be malware related you could try the steps listed hereand if it doesn't fix your problems and malware is found post a topic here.

Dave

laptopchick

laptopchick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just tried resetting the internet settings. It didn't work, so I will dig into the malware topics that you suggested. I was reading over the page (the first link on malware) and was wondering... I have an active and new account with Norton. Can I download the removal tool on my new desktop put it on a usb flash drive and download on my laptop? Then do the same for the new version of Norton to remove the Malware? I am new to this sort of thing and never had to deal with a virus, worm, or anything. If I can't and the steps on the other page to download these programs, do I download those to my good pc and then onto a USB flash drive? Thanks for your help. :D

Edited by laptopchick, 02 October 2010 - 12:44 PM.

DavePaulson

DavePaulson

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
You can download to USB and transfer or use safe mode if you can to get them. Read though the whole page. Make sure you download and run Malwarebytes.

Dave

laptopchick

laptopchick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Will follow through step by step. I'm gonna try to download through safe mode instead of the flash drive (using the downloads on that page). I'm really unsure to the procedure. Is it any different than the normal process?

DavePaulson

DavePaulson

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
No different.

laptopchick

laptopchick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you very much, Dave. I really appreciate your help!

DavePaulson

DavePaulson

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
You're welcome,
post back with what you find out. If it isn't malware one of the techs here will be able to help you out. Lots of good ones here and they will get to you eventually. :D

Dave

laptopchick

laptopchick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dave,

Sorry to bug you again. I am going through the steps. I have run TFC, Erunt, and Malwarebytes. Which came up with no malicious software detected. I am to the step of running the antivirus. I downloaded the Norton removal tool online thru safe mode. When my pc rebooted, I was not there in time to boot into safe mode again. When my desktop screen pulled up, the symantec site was there. Not the page cannot be displayed, so now I am downloading the new version that I had purchaed for my desktop a couple weeks ago. What does this mean that I am suddenly able to get internet in the normal mode?

DavePaulson

DavePaulson

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
This is good news. I'm not sure but TFC forced you to reboot. Maybe thats what it took for the new settings to take effect. If so great. If it gives you more trouble post back. If it keeps working better yet.

Dave

laptopchick

laptopchick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The final reboot was after the removal of Norton. That is when I got kicked in normal mode from not hitting F8, (I was not near the pc at the time). Do you think all is well or should I take more precautions beyond running norton to cleanup?

DavePaulson

DavePaulson

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
If everything is working well you should be fine. If you don't have a current anti-virus these are free. You only want one anti-virus though.

Edited by DavePaulson, 02 October 2010 - 03:26 PM.

laptopchick

laptopchick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dave,

Everything seems to be going great just finishing scans with Norton which I had previously purchased prior to all this happening. You have been a great help and I appreciate your time. You saved me from spending money just to run diagnostic from a repair shop. Thanks! Have a great weekend! :D

DavePaulson

DavePaulson

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
You're welcome glad I could help. :D

Dave