Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DWM keeps failing

• Please log in to reply

Anathema

Anathema

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I've asked Lenovo for help several times and to be honest they screwed me over. They wont help me at all regardless of the extra $$$$ I forked out for damage protection and warranties and support stuff...so I'm praying you guys can help. I have a Lenovo Ideapad Z560. It's about 2/3 months old. It's completely up to date as of last night and my issues have been happening since the moment it was turned on.

Regardless of what I'm doing, be it using OpenOffice, Word 2003, or playing a game, the "screen" (as in display) dies on me a LOT. Basically, the screen goes and stays black but the system is still running (game sounds on, error sounds when pressing wrong buttons, etc).

I've come to find it's Desktop Window Manager and "display" something failing (the prompt disappears too fast). It's also been the graphics card (or chip?) too.

I need help to fix it. I didnt know what to post so I've attached my event log stuff that I could find on it :D.

Specs and stuff:
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
Memory: 3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor ( 2.26GHz 1066MHz 3MB ) (according to website)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M350 @ 2.27GHz 2.27GHz (according to my system properties, dunno if it makes a difference or not?)

Attached Files

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Anathema.
Couple of reasons this could happen.
1) Update KB936357. Has some issues with intel chips.
2) Graphic card driver.
Could you please go to control panel and check in programs and features > View installed updates.
Do you see KB936357 Listed
Cheers
Peterm

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey Peterm!

I checked and I can't see it on the list at all. I also checked the installed programs list to no eval.

When I first noted it Lenovo told me to upgrade the graphics drivers and I did that to their instructions (downloading it from Intel) but it made it worse. Before I just couldnt change window because it wouldnt minimise, restore, resize, or maximise....but after updating the screen now dies completely. I didnt know if that would help before and I was trying to keep the post short.

Thanks heaps for the reply :D.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Anathema
Could you please click on Start > right click on my computer >click on properties >
Click on Device manager > Click on the + sign next to Display adapters >
Right click on the adapter (that shows under Display adapter) Click on properties> Click on the driver tab> Do you have an option to roll back the Driver ?
If yes please roll back. If the option is not offered then could you please post back about when you did the driver update.
Also when you expand Display adapter what is the name of the adapter listed ?

I was trying to keep the post short.

The more info the better
Cheers
Peterm

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It doesnt have a roll back option, but it says the driver date is "20-02-10" and the version says "8.15.10.2086" :D.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Also when you expand Display adapter what is the name of the adapter listed ?

when you did the driver update.

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It's called "Intel® HD Graphics" without the circle thing...this site changes the ( R ) without spaces to the real sign.

I posted more before:

It doesnt have a roll back option, but it says the driver date is "20-02-10" and the version says "8.15.10.2086" :D.

Is that what you wanted?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
No
When did you do the update Last Month 2 months ago ??

Your System build (under your name ) says you are using Windows Vista.
The graphics details you gave me are for windows 7
Is this machine running Win 7 ?
Cheers
Peterm

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Oh I see what you mean. Those are what I entered for my desktop and the system I'm having issues with is my new laptop.

I posted it's specs in the OP. I'll go see if there's somewhere I can enter them in my profile or something. Sorry about the confusion.

Specs and stuff:
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
Memory: 3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor ( 2.26GHz 1066MHz 3MB ) (according to website)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M350 @ 2.27GHz 2.27GHz (according to my system properties, dunno if it makes a difference or not?)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok Win 7 :D
1) When did you do

When I first noted it Lenovo told me to upgrade the graphics drivers and I did that to their instructions

March, April, May etc etc

2) When you did the upgrade did you download the file yourself or did you use the The Intel® Driver Update Utility
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I think it would have to have been done in July (I started using the laptop around July 14th and I called them within the first 2 weeks because of the issue). I can't recall what I used (it was something that told me where to get the driver) but I had to manually download the driver and install it myself. Right clicking and selecting the update driver thing in device manager didnt work out for me cause it keeps telling me things are up to date regardless.

Edited by Anathema, 04 October 2010 - 03:20 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok
Lets try this 1st. Click on me
If that does not work or help matters then I suggest we do a restore of the system back before you updated the driver.(Hope win 7 has kept a restore point that old)
The idea behind the restore is to get it working as before and then try to improve on that.
Restore will not change any Data files you have used or created it only restores windows files and can be undone.
Cheers
peterm

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics
Current Driver Installed 8.15.0010.2086
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

Lenovo wanted me to reformat, but they never offered a restore. I don't know why they would send out a new laptop that needed to be reformatted.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Lenovo wanted me to reformat, but they never offered a restore. I don't know why they would send out a new laptop that needed to be reformatted.

It most likely has an image on the drive that restores to factory image. How ever you loose all data with a format.
Click Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
Choose show different restore point then choose show more restore points.
Can you see a restore point you think may be before you updated the driver.
If so please choose that and let it restore.
You do not loose data with a restore and they can be undone.
However I would still back any thing that you simply can't afford to loose. JUST IN CASE.
If you do not have a restore point old enough then try this driver update.
Click on me It is the second in the list under Video

Cheers
Peterm

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
For some reason I only have restore points from September and recent updates :D.

I installed the driver though. DWM failed in the middle of it, is that going to cause issues?

I'm about to restart and I'll report back as to whether it helps or not ;). Thanks for helping me find the driver, I appreciate it ;).