Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP!.....PC WON"T BOOT

• Please log in to reply

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
:tazz:
My girlfriend has a compaq presario 5000 with the following specs:
Win XP Pro
AMD Duron 800MHz
40GB HD
384MB RAM (PC100)

She resently got a virus cos her subsrciption run out. Before I could do anything about it for her, the system won't boot at all. So I took out her HD and and mouted it as a slave on my system and backed up her files onto mine and formatted her drive. Then I proceeded to install Win XP Pro for her on my system. But now the system does recognize her HD I've tried different HD and IDE cables but the BIOS couldn't recognize her HD. With some other HDs I get an "NTLDR missing, cannot find NTLDR". I suspect a CIH virus might have altered the BIOS but either ways I'll really appreciate any help I get. Please ask if more info is needed.

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok, let me find the website that i have on record that tells how to recover from the CiH virus, give me a few ok?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Here you go....http://grc.com/cih.htm

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
http://grc.com/cih.htm

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for your help Djgotee, but can the program boot the infected comp?....cos it doesn't even go through POST. Thanks

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I have not dealt with the cih virus in a while. Id have to go to that website and read the entire info again. Did you read it all and does it seem understandable?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Oh and sorry i did not tell you this b4, this only works for fat32 file systems.

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well a good part of it was understandable....You see.....the HD from the infected PC boots well and fine on my system. but when I put it back into the infected sys......it cannot detect te HD

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Youll have to do some more research if your drive isNTFS file system, but if the repair proceedure is similar...read this:

Flash BIOS Recovery:
We have been told by knowledgeable experts that most PC motherboards do not provide any means for recovering from the loss of their Flash BIOS EEROM. (Those that do are not vulnerable to CIH's erasure in the first place.) You should contact your PC motherboard manufacturer to determine whether your system can have its EEROM repaired.

and flash bios recovery would have to be done first im affraid...

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
The question now become...

do you have NTFS file system?

and if you have fat32, you can use steve gidsons proceedure to work it out.

but the next question? how do you tell if you have your flash bios working again ?
and this is a good question. Did you say you can get into the bios on the affected computer?

Advertisements

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well.....the file system is NTFS....I guess I'll just reformat the drive and make it a FAT file system and start the whole process..once again thanks for your help....I'll be back if I develop any problems.

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes I can get into the BIOS alright

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Look what i found : CIH virus cannot infect computers running on Windows NT, 2000, or XP

http://securityrespo...a/kill_cih.html

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
hang on Quickeyez, if you have XP, you dont have this cih virus, your problems are somthing else...

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I mean XP with NTFS..