Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP!.....PC WON"T BOOT

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
uhm, wait a sec...

You installed your girlfriends drive in your computer, installed windows, then put it back on her machine?

No way that is going to work...you have mismatched Hardware Abstraction Layers.

It would be akin to you going out and drinking too much, and waking up in the wrong house and not being able to find the bathroom to pee in the morning.

You will have to reinstall..no way around it at this point....there is a chance you can do a repair the very first time it boots, but it's too late for this

Advertisements

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hmmmmm.......thats interesting......cos you know.....I took out my HD and mounted it on infect comp.....and it tells me " cannot find NTLDR"...meanwhile my HD work fine on my system

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So Jerry F ....what do you recommend?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's because the hardware abstraction layer for the OS installation matches your computer.

You simply need to reinstall windows on your girlfriend's computer. During setup, delete the partitions and let windows setup recreate it, then format, then install

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I tried to install Win XP on my girlfriend's comp but after the files are copied onto the HD from the CD and the system reboots to start installation it just hangs and nothing happens there after

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I love it gerry!

It would be akin to you going out and drinking too much, and waking up in the wrong house and not being able to find the bathroom to pee in the morning.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
How does the system "hang"? black screen or what?

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yeah...black and blank

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Oh and i dont think we established if the bios on the affected computer can see the hard drive? can it?

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well...if thats one thing I don't like about compaq BIOS, it doesn't identify the HD by name.....all you have in the boot sequence are CD-rom, floppy and hard drive.....from there you toggle to select the boot sequence

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Usually the hard drive is listed on the first page that comes up in the bios..

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I see you haven't had a brush with those annoying BIOS that comes with compaq's motherboards.......it gives you no indepth info....when you boot the sys all you see is a big red COMPAQ against a black background. A DOS cursor blinks at the top-right corner of the screen and and then it tests the memory then tells me NTLDR cannot be found.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Sounds like you are viewing the video graphics from its firmware, do you know how to get into the bios? Video graphics is thew first thing to come up on a lot of computers as the first item seen.

try tapping the delete, f1 or f2 button on the keyboard when booting up.

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yeah I have gone into the bios.......selecet your boot sequence and the like..... advanced bios settings and others.....yes I get into the BIOS with the del key.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok so with your bios, you cant tell if the hard drive is being seen? hmmmmmmmmm

the reason im wanting to see if the bios "sees" the hard drive, is because if it is not, you may have motherboard problems.

Are you sure your little jumpers on the hard drive are set properly?