Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice for rebuilding PC

• Please log in to reply

yobraniac

yobraniac

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hello, I would like to rebuild my PC to bring it up to date and make run faster. I want to be able to play games without it "sticking" or freezing. I basically just want an all around faster PC and better graphics. The PC I would like to rebuild is a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 desktop. Here are some stats I got from the PC: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 Intel Pentium D Processor 820 with 2 processing cores 1024MB memory 250GB Hard Drive Graphics ATI Radeon Xpress 200. Now to be honest I'm not sure what all of that meant but I do have a general idea. I replaced and add DVD drives to my PC so I am not completely unfamiliar with the inside of a PC. As far as cost I am on sort of a budget and one of the main reasons I want to rebuild instead of buying a new PC, aside from personal satisfaction, is to cut down on costs. Also any information on where to buy quality working parts and software (I would like to upgrade from Windows XP if possible) online would be really great and helpful too. Thanks very much.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
For an "faster PC", it's realistically new computer time. That is an old machine. Not really worth upgrading.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
TomsHardware.com > System Builder Marathon, Sept. 2010:

--

TomsHardware.com > Gaming CPU Heirarchy Chart : Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: August 2010
http://www.tomshardw...970,2698-7.html

TomsHardware.com > Graphics Card Heirarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2010
http://www.tomshardw...ing,2697-7.html

--

TomsHardware.com > Part 1: Building A Balanced Gaming PC
http://www.tomshardw...view-31726.html

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I don't necessarily want to "upgrade" this PC because I know it's old but can it be used as a starting point to build myself a new PC. I would really like to build one as opposed to buying one. For example can I use the case or the fan or the power supply? I know mostly everything else has to go i.e. video card and processor since I want a faster PC.

Edited by yobraniac, 03 October 2010 - 05:44 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You might be able to use the old case if it has mounting points in the right place for your new motherboard. You'd also need to check and see if all of the new ports on the back edge of the new motherboard line up with the cutouts on the back of your old case.

The old power supply probably does not supply enough power for today's motherboard and components. It also probably does not have the right connectors for the new motherboard.

You might be able to use the old case fans. They're getting pretty old though and the bearings will wear out.