Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with XP Mouse Driver

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hardly surprising. You have more add-ons than you probably have programs on the computer.
Start IE on the Tools tab, top right of the browser bar click Manage Add-ons and then on the Window that opens disable most of them.
I think you will find you are running an out of date JAVA - check for updates and in any case disable the Java helper, disable the Search Helper it is unnecessary, disable Windows Live sign in helper, disable adobe pdf link helper at the very least.

I agree that the problem may be AVG. I presume as you say you upgraded it is the paid for edition.

When did you last clear the temp files etc on IE8
Download this and run it. You may check all boxes BUT BE AWARE that it will delete any saved passwords for sites, not the Windows passwords and it will not effect your favourites and bookmarks
http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25

There is no concern regarding your chkdsk results.

Please post back a closing remark, as you consider appropriate, please do not just leave the thread.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 October 2010 - 12:02 PM.

Advertisements

carlsonjok

carlsonjok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I agree that the problem may be AVG. I presume as you say you upgraded it is the paid for edition.

Yes, indeed. It is a legitimate, paid-for copy.

When did you last clear the temp files etc on IE8

I thought I did that as part of the malware cleanup, but I will do so again.

Download this and run it. You may check all boxes BUT BE AWARE that it will delete any saved passwords for sites, not the Windows passwords

Before I do this, one question: Will it do this only for IE, or also Firefox? I've got all my Bill pay stuff on Firefox.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The reason I asked if it was paid for, was not in any manner querying its legitmacy, it is beacuse I and many other people, although there are equally as many who like AVG, hold the opinion that it is a heavy users of resources and if it was the fre program I would have recommended alternatives.

Whether or not malware cleanup deals with your temp, files , cookies, cache etc in Internet explorer only you will know, as I do not know which you use.

The answer to your question re ATF and Mozilla is clearly displayed on the opening page of the link I sent you. Do not be offended, but the most cursory glance at the link and a brief exmaination will answer all your questions, rather than simply sending the question back to me. Simply do not check the box on the ATF cleaner for those items you do not wish to delete.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 October 2010 - 02:44 PM.

carlsonjok

carlsonjok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Add-ons seemed to be the problem. The problem with the mouse and desktop no longer occurs with use of IE. I am still getting BSOD. Three more this morning.

The first came up the message "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL."

The second BSOD had the message "win32k.sys Address BF82D103 base at BF800000, DateStamp 4c220f9a." The third time also indicated a win32k.sys problem, although I neglected to confirm that the address, etc info matched.

EDIT: I did run ATF deleting everything. Also, I have noted the Stop code thread pinned at the top. I will look more closely at the codes the next time I get a BSOD. I will post info at that time. No need for assistance at this moment.

Edited by carlsonjok, 04 October 2010 - 05:31 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

No need for assistance at this moment.

In that case I will leave it with you.
IRQL not less etc - usually idicates driver or actual hardware eror OR memory defect.

I am pleased that my help managed to solve the problem of the crash with the add-ons.
I will withdraw from this now, I am very busy work wise and am working on other threads on this and another forum.

I am sure someone else will pick it up.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 October 2010 - 02:22 PM.

carlsonjok

carlsonjok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
My BSOD problems persisted with this computer and increased in frequency. Finally, yesterday, I could no longer even load Windows at all. I have gotten into the Repair Console and am trying to follow the instructions in the How to repair XP sticky topic, but it is not looking like what is in those directions. I got past the Licensing Agreement just fine. But, the next screen does not look like what is in the Repair Windows XP topic.

I expected to see a screen asking me to either repair an existing XP installation or to install a fresh copy. However, the screen I get looks like this:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup
The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item i the list.

• To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
  • To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
  • To delete the selected partition, press D
76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 1 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition 1 [FAT] 31 MB (24MB free)
C: Partition 2 [Unknown] 57184 MB (57184MB free)
Unpartitioned space 19101 MB

476938 MB Disk on disk [MBR]

D: Partition1 (SimpleDrive) [NTFS] 476938 MB (280848 MB free)

Unknown Disk

(There is no disk in this drive)

ENTER=Install D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

I am already having a new, Windows 7 system built for me, and the person building it said that he should be able to moved all my data/programs over to the new system. So, I'd like to make this system useable for the next week until the new system is available. But, not at the expense of losing any data/programs. I am of the understanding that new install will wipe everything out and the repair console screen I am seeing (as shown above) only seems to give that option. Can I repair from here, or should I just shut the computer down and wait? Thank you.