Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with building a computer from the ground up

• Please log in to reply

scalyjake

scalyjake

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so I recently decided that my laptop was getting too old and needed to be retired so instead of buying a new computer I decided to save some money and build my own with the help of a friend. I went to a local computer store where everyone there was basically an expert on the matter (thats why I drove 45 minutes to get there) and bought everything I needed. I put it all together and everything was going smoothly when I went to plug it all in and only the motherboard light came on and nothing else did. No fans not any other part, just the motherboard light. I have been asking around to several of my friends who have built their own computers and they say that something is wrong with the power supply whether it be faulty or it does not transfer enough power. Another suggestion that I heard, which I dread if it is true, is that because I built it on the carpet a static charge could fry some of the parts. I don't think this happened however because the carpet is very old and smooshed down so I don't think it carries a charge very well...but thats beside the point. I NEED HELP...I don't really know how to proceed from here except to buy a bigger battery

All of the things I bought:
Liteon 24x internal DVD/CD Writer
VGA powercolor Radeon 5750 HD video card
LSP 750 Pro Lifetime Series power supply
HAF 922 Case
Asus xtreme design motherboard M4N75TD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB hard drive
DDR3 1600G 2x2gb ram
AMD Phenom II X4 processor 3.0 ghz quad core 8.0 MB cache socket AM3 w/ heatsink fan

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D
First of all did you bench test the motherboard before installing it?
You can check the installation by looking thru this Tutorial HERE to make sure everything is put together correctly.
Did oyu make sure both the 20+4 and the 8 pin connections are made from the PSU to the motherboard?
Are the standoffs in the right place under the motherboard where a screw is connecting to them?
If all the above checks out then you need to do a bench testing by doing the following instructions.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo so power up and let us know if it now posts.

Place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard as this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the
  • cpu
  • 1 stick ram in dimm 1
  • power supply
  • case switch
  • case speaker
  • Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard
  • monitor
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short
If the system still does not boot then it may be memory or cpu.

scalyjake

scalyjake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright I double checked all of the components and, to the best of my ability, they seem to be plugged in right. When I only have the things plugged in that you told me to the same thing happens, motherboard light on, monitor reads no signal and nothing else turns on. I'll do the second list of things later however because I am busy for most of the day today.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NP and just a thought is there power hooked to the video card?

scalyjake

scalyjake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah there was power to the video card

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just another thought but on that MOBO there should be a 20+4 power connector and also a 4 or 8 pin connector somewhere up near the cpu. Don't mistake the CPU FAN one for this. On mine I have to have both those power connections connected in order for my system to boot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something else to check is to make sure the memory is in the same color slots. On this MOBO the slots are color coded. Your memory should be in the 1st and 3rd slots which are blue I believe.

scalyjake

scalyjake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thanks a bunch im still workin on it and it just does the same thing where the motherboard comes on but nothing else

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I think you are going to have to move on to a actual bench test which is the second set of instructions in post syatyong with this line ...
Place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard as this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

This will eliminate anything with the case and lets us deal with just mobo, memory and psu.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also while you are doing the above steps please post a picture of your motherboard with all the connections connected.
Try to get a couple so I can see if every one is connected.