Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

its not the monitor is it?

• Please log in to reply

kate0558

kate0558

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
So for.about a.month my pc has been like going into sleep mode when left.on for.only a few hours . Like the power light would blink on the monitor and the pc got quieter like the fan turned.off..... and when you pressed the.power button to shut it off... nothing happened so I had to unplug it to turn it off or restart. Well now its not even going on at all...I'm pretty sure all the.fans r running cue I opened it up and the ones I could see were running although it does.sound a little quieter... but its doing nothing... just a black k screen and the lights blinking on the monitor but still can't turn off the power on the tower without plugging it.... anybody have any ideas?
Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi kate0558 :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard,any add on card and psu details would also help others to help you better.

So for.about a.month my pc has been like going into sleep mode when left.on for.only a few hours . Like the power light would blink on the monitor and the pc got quieter like the fan turned.off.....

Possibly the energy efficiency putting the system into stand by mode, did you try pressing any keys, click the mouse or tap the space bar, one of these usually brings the system out of stand by.

Well now its not even going on at all...I'm pretty sure all the.fans r running cue I opened it up and the ones I could see were running although it does.sound a little quieter... but its doing nothing... just a black k screen and the lights blinking on the monitor

Until you provide us with some more info on your computer it is a little to early to say for sure but I suspect the psu (power supply unit) has gone bad, as the psu puts out varying voltages to the system it is possible for it to partially provide power to the MB, the fans may turn but nothing else, the display requires a lot of power and that is why yours is a common symptom.

kate0558

kate0558

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
idk the exact model number off hand... but its a gateway dx series. its only a year old... i'm pretty sure it was only a 300 watt power supply. Its got dual core processor... 6gb of ram, 640 gb hard drive... running on vista.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
First thing I suggest is checking to see if it is under warranty, some of their systems have 2yr warranties.
If it is still under warranty I suggest you return it to the place of purchase and have them repair it.
Unless the psu has ever been upgraded you will be correct, it will only be 300W which for todays system requirements is barely enough for office duties and surfing the net.
The big companies often use low power poor quality psus to keep build costs down and Gateway are no different, they even put the same 300W psu in a $1000 system.
The way to proceed and the advice we can suggest will be dependent on the warranty circumstances and what you decide you are prepared to attempt to resolve the issue, let us know what you decide.

kate0558

kate0558

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Its a Gateway DX 4300-05.
Theres specs to it here.

I did add an additional 1gb graphics card.

I also realized that when I plugged the monitor into the new graphics card slot, it would work.
But I've had the graphics card in there for 6 months with the monitor still plugged in the main slot so.. maybe something happened to the onboard graphics? Idk...

But I'm still having the problem that the monitor will turn off if the computer is left on for too long.
Its still got the stock 300 watt power supply. Do you think that could be the cause of my problems?
I am running a 1gb graphics card and graphics intensive programs (photoshop, flash, etc.). So maybe the current power supply can't support it so it shuts off? Idk...

And the warranty expired a few months ago.

How do I know which power supplys will work with my computer? and what wattage would you recommend...

I will be upgrading to a hd monitor and plan on running dual monitors at somepoint as well however thats still a few months down the road cus of cash flow.

Edited by kate0558, 10 October 2010 - 10:27 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Can you post the 1GB video card details, make and model number please I will find the psu requirements for it.
I can`t remember seeing a 1GB video card that would work with a 300W psu but I may be wrong, anyhow yes if you are now connected to the add on card it could be the cause as gfx are power hungry so if there is not enough power to go around something can shutdown.

kate0558

kate0558

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Its an ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB graphics card.

It does say it needs a 400 watt power supply.

or 550 if i am running 2 gpu cards.... which i'd like to do one day but my mobo only has 1 pci-e slot so that would require a dif. mobo anyway.

So now i'm wondering how big of a power supply I should buy... and how do i know what power supplies will work in my pc.

It says on the gpu box that they have a list of certified psu for that graphics card at ati.amd.com/certified psu.

do i need to get one from that list?

And I'm thinking 600 watt? is that a good size?...is it possible to get too high of wattage in a power supply?

I will be updating to a 24 + " monitor in the next couple months... and running dual monitors.

I also added a wireless card... idk if that matters..

Thanks for all the help! Unfortunately Power supplies is the one thing i know hardly anything about.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi again,

So now i'm wondering how big of a power supply I should buy... and how do i know what power supplies will work in my pc.

The more powerful the better, the computer components will only draw the power that they require, make sure that any potential PSU you intend to purchase has at least the same amount and type of power connections that the present one has (this will not be difficult).

It says on the gpu box that they have a list of certified psu for that graphics card at ati.amd.com/certified psu. do i need to get one from that list?

It would be impossible to list all compatible PSUs on the box so as long as you get a named quality brand that met the cards requirements you should not have any issues so with this in mind I have provided an option for you;
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341018
I recommend you measure the present PSUs dimensions and the space available inside the case before any purchase, the dimensions of the PSU I have suggested are 5.9" x 3.4" x 6.3" and the cost is $84.99 but after the mail in rebate it is $59.99 and the shipping is free, this works out cheaper than the 600W version when you add the shipping costs to the 600W.