Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error

• Please log in to reply

vdspierke

vdspierke

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,after starting my computer I always gets a Error notification,saying: "Error:Access violation at 0x77C172E3 (tried to read from 0x00C62000),program terminated."
Is it possible to discover which program is affected?And what can I do about it?It doesn't affect any other of my programs...
I have Windows XP,service pack 2.
Thank you!!!
Pieter :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck

load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.

Does the error repeat?

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items

Reboot.

Does the error repeat?

repeat, moving up the list until the error repeats.

Report back

vdspierke

vdspierke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your answer.When I checked the startup items the error came back.So that's probably the reason.Is it possible that it has anything to do with the startup of XGI WatchDog?I didn't want to remove it because it has something to do with Volari,and I have a Volari video-card (dell inspiron 5160).Could it be solved if I remove that file (from my program files) or would it interfere with my videodevice?I found XGI connected with volari searching on Google...
thanks already for your next answer!

vdspierke

vdspierke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Gerryf,I think I found my problem.It had something to do with the startup systems.Eventually I found the problem in my Cyberlink PowerDVD.The DVDLauncher didn't work.I just deleted my Cyberlink (have the original disc at home) and tried again.So far no probs.Thank you for showing me the right direction to look at!If I'll meet other problems,you'll hear about it...
Thx,Pieter. :tazz:

vdspierke

vdspierke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: No chance!it appears that my problem isn't solved at all...So I don't have a clue what to do next.Logically I can't delete all my programs in my startup...Do you have any other suggestion to find the program that causes that error?THX!
Pieter

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what section did you check when the errors began again -- "startup systems" is not an option

system services
startup items

are the choices

vdspierke

vdspierke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
startup items...

Pieter

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and did you try disabling them all, then re-enabling one at a time on the startup items tab?

vdspierke

vdspierke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have tried them all but after a couple of reboots the error came back,even when I uncheck and rechecked several items.So I didn't managed to find the exact reason.Last time I rebooted it went good again so let's hope it stays that way.I also deleted my volari driver and reinstall it from dell.be.So far so good.If I encounter new problems I'll put them back on the forum.Anyhow,thanks for your advice and helping me to know my computer a little bit better...Good luck with future problems!By the way,is their a good program that looks for bad exe-files and report those so I can reinstall them?It can prevent new problems...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
define bad exes

Ever computer user should have an Antivirus program and at least spyware program on their PC (see my signature for the malware forum for a guide).

If broadband, a firewall is wise.

vdspierke

vdspierke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
if 'define bad exes' is a program,i didn't find it.but i've found the problem.it had something to do with a background i used in msn messenger 7.0.apparantly it always tried to startup with my windows,but my messenger don't,because i don't want to.my solution...
i deleted messenger 7.0,unchecked 'program files/ messenger/msmsgs/ background.exe' in the startup items and restarted.then i deleted msmsgs after searching it with 'search'.i rebooted again,set everything normal in msconfig and rebooted a last time.
afterwards i reinstalled msn 7.0 and the error didn't occured anymore.from now on i wouldn't use those backgrounds anymore.it can be a problem in the dutch version of messenger 7.0 or windows xp.if i want to delete useraccounts i used in messenger,i have to delete the credentials in local applications and local settings.it doesn't work normal when you use the dutch version of win xp.once you know it isn't a problem,but if you don't know...
see you again!
Pieter