Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Won't start even in safe mode.

• Please log in to reply

kdeborah

kdeborah

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When turning on my computer it shows the windows XP screen where you can press F8 F12 etc. and after that simply shows a black screen.
I tried booting from safe mode but all i get is lines of text like multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\BATTC.SYS and any of the other F8 option just result in a black screen.
i also tried repairing XP from the disk but when i go into BIOS to change the boot order all i get is "please enter file name for new bios" and a flashing underscore.
I am running XP home proffesional and a few weeeks ago i had a fake "anti virus" Virus but cleaned it out.
I don't care about losing data.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by kdeborah, 03 October 2010 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
System Restore using Recovery Console
This procedure can be used when windows will not start and Safe Mode options are not effective. It allows access to the system restore folders in order to recover from a corrupt registry. This is particularly useful when dealing with machines that didn't come with a recovery cd, the cd does not contain the option to run a repaie installation, or you are using the RC.iso cd.
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
• Type cd \ and press "Enter".
• Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
• Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list.
• Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
• Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
• Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
• Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
• Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
• Type cd \ and press "Enter".
• Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
• Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
• Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

kdeborah

kdeborah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for the quick reply and the detail, but i can't boot from the installion disk as i can't change the BIOS boot order so my CD drive is listed first.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If the BIOS settings are somehow scrambled, the computer will never run right. If this is a desktop PC, remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes, reinsert it and then try to get into the BIOS again. (Removing it should reset it to factory defaults).

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with the BIOS, I think you are pressing the wrong keys.
Some Asus motherboards have Alt and F2 for EZbios update.
When the computer first posts look at the screen and it will tell you which key to press to enter setup.
Usually but not always, just F2.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 October 2010 - 03:01 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Since you stated in your first post that the machine goes to the XP screen there is nothing wrong with your motherboard.
If you will give me the make and model number of your computer I will look up what key you need to press to enter set up.
When pressing the key to enter set up, start when you first power up your computer and keep pressing it in over and over (do not hold it)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

there is nothing wrong with your motherboard.

I totally agree, I do not know who appeared to suggest there was, but it was certainly not me.

kdeborah

kdeborah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with the BIOS, I think you are pressing the wrong keys.
Some Asus motherboards have Alt and F2 for EZbios update.
When the computer first posts look at the screen and it will tell you which key to press to enter setup.
Usually but not always, just F2.

Yes, its Alt and F2 to enter setup and thats what ive been pressing and the only other keys that do anything are F8 and tab which supposedly shows POST but the text disappears so fast i can't read it.
I'm going to try and remove the CMOS battery.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please tell us more about your machine.
What kind of computer is it?
Do you know the make and model of your motherboard?
If not I can find it if you tell me the make and model of the computer.
E.G. HP Pavilion 5000

kdeborah

kdeborah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Its basically just a desktop pc,its a couple of years old doesn't have a make or model as it was built from scratch and has a VIA vt8235 motherboard.
I really appreciate the help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This section explains how to use the BIOS Setup Utility to configure your system.
The Flash Memory on the motherboard stores the BIOS Setup Utility. You may run the
BIOS Setup Utility when you start up the computer. Please press <F2> during the
Power-On-Self-Test (POST) to enter the BIOS Setup Utility, otherwise, POST
continues with its test routines.

My research tells me this is how you enter BIOS setup on that board.
However if you say it is Alt and F2, then if that is what is shown on the post screen , so be it.

kdeborah

kdeborah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
F2 does nothing, If this is impossible to fix myself i'll take it for repair

kdeborah

kdeborah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

F2 does nothing, If this is impossible to fix myself i'll take it for repair

Haha famous last words, can change the boot order, CMOS battery thing must have worked!

kdeborah

kdeborah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Had to install windows 98 cos it wouldn't read the XP disk but my PC is up and running! thank you all for your help! :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am pleased, but you may have jumped the gun a little. The most likely reason you could not proceed with an install on the XP CD is that it needed a driver that is not included in XP. This can be worked around by providing the driver the XP CD needed. It depends what you mean by could not read, if it is a genuine XP CD, then it may be scratched, and that may well have been able to resolve by burning a copy.
Windows 98 is really so "out of date" that it may well cause you other problems, driver wise etc.
Post back if you need further help.
Finally PLEASE DO NOT be offended, but if it is NOT a genuine XP installation, this forum will NOT help.