Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winzip disappearing file on extraction.

• Please log in to reply

nethkhar

nethkhar

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi there,

I have a problem that's more an annoyance than anything else.

I am trying to install Emporer battle for dune onto my computer running XP. To do this I have to download a zip file that contains 3 files (setup.exe, emporer.exe, and emperor.txt). This is an official update to fix issues for game owners who run XP.

I extract the files to a folder c:\emperor, the files flash up into the folder then a millisecond later emperor.exe disappears. The other 2 files are there.

I have tried extracting to differnet folders and tried a couple of unzipping software programs, and it just keeps disappearing.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and if I can fix it, I need that file to play the game.

Thank you kind people.

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, i just downloaded the zip file to my desktop and opened it with 7-zip. A folder opened with the 3 files, nothing disappeared. I dowwnloaded from this link.

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/emperor/update/

i hope that this might help

nethkhar

nethkhar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the response, I tried exactly what you did, downloaded the file from your link, extracted with 7-zip and the file still disappeared. Only this time it was displayed for about 2 secs. When I right click and choose properties it also tells me there is only 2 files in that folder. :D

I have no idea what's going on, but I seem to have got the game working anyway even without that file. It would be nice to know what's happening tho. ;)

Thanks again for trying to help me. ;)

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Perhaps your AV dosn't like it. Check your quarantine maybe. :D

nethkhar

nethkhar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yey, that's the problem, I didn't know AV programs did that, I thought they asked you first. Feel like a bit of a doofus now :D

Thank you so much, for the help, and that'll be the first place I look in future. ;)

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
GREAT NEWS..... :D

I scanned the Zip file & then scanned the 3 unzipped files with no problem. (trend AV) ;)

What AV are you using ?. I would like to see why yours didn't like one of the exe files

nethkhar

nethkhar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
HI, I use avast free version and in the virus chest the description is Win32:malware-gen. Which obviously it isn't.

I tested the original zip file with malwarebytes and that didn't find anything.

Out of curiousity I scanned the original zip file with avast and yes it detects it as a virus, but I've just found options in the results that you can pick so these files don't go into the chest.

So yet another new thing learnt, everydays a school day. I'll check out the Trend AV you've used that might be more to my liking.

Thanks again and have a great day :D

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, Avast is preety good & free so i would stay with it. Avast possibly saw the file as malware because it was packed/multipacked.

enjoy your schooldays, they realy are the best... ;) :D