Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo, CPU, or GPU problem?

• Please log in to reply

dalligood7

dalligood7

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I recently built a new pc and after about 4 days it started freezing up while the screen gets all messed up. I thought it was my memory because I failed to realize that the memory I bought was only tested for Intel CPU's. So now I have G. Skill Ripjaws memory and so far so good until today. I stress tested my graphics card and it only got to 83-84 degrees. My CPU sits at around 30-39 degrees with an average about 33. I have to power it down manually and then everything is fine. It is a totally random problem, I can not pinpoit what makes it do this. Thank you in advance for any help I may receive.

This is what I have:
MEMORY:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
MOBO:ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX
PSU:Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi dalligood7 :D

I stress tested my graphics card and it only got to 83-84 degrees

This is most likely your problem, your gfx card is cooking, stop using it until
the issue is resolved.
You have not listed your gfx card details, what are they, make and model/series number.
If the card has a fan on it it does not sound like it is working and so not cooling it.

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a 9800 gt, its old I know lol. I was told this is the average it should run. Mind you this test pushed it to its maximum capacity for about 10 minutes. I am sure it runs a lot cooler. I was also told it could be my hard drive, could this be true?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I was also told it could be my hard drive, could this be true?

You can test the hard drive with Seagate's "SeaTools"
http://www.seagate.c...nloads/seatools

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Tested it with every test seatools had and it was ok, now what?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Test the RAM?

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic
http://www.memtest86.com/

Windows Memory Diagnostic
http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
In addition to what Doc has suggested, I have also added some options for checking the gfx card out.

I have a 9800 gt, its old I know lol. I was told this is the average it should run. Mind you this test pushed it to its maximum capacity for about 10 minutes. I am sure it runs a lot cooler. I was also told it could be my hard drive, could this be true?

What did you use to stress test your card, was it this? http://www.ozone3d.n...s/fur/#techdata
If not I suggest you try it, not sure where you heard that the temps were normal for the card, see attached link
http://www.tomshardw...15-9800gt-temps There seems to be a difference of opinion on the safe temps for the card.
You could also try increasing the fan speed using ntune http://www.nvidia.co...5.54.00_uk.html

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yep, I used FurMark to do the test. A programmer friend of mine who told me to download FurMark told me his 2 cards run at that temp when stressed, but are much lower in normal circumstances. I am downloading ntune as I write this response, will post back to give results.

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
@SpywareDr I am almost positive it isn't the RAM, unless my luck is extremely horrible lol.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Did using NTune make any difference?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
No amount of fiddling with software will fix failing hardware. :D ;)

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
@ Phillpower2, no I haven't yet because I rolled back the driver to see if that was the issue. So far so good on this, but if this fails I will update the driver and check it out. Once again thank you all for all your input. :D
This is the driver for the GPU and it says it will not work with the older driver I have.

Edited by dalligood7, 07 October 2010 - 08:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Thanks for the update dalligood7 and let us hope it remains all good for you, please let us know when you are happy you have resolved the issue and best of luck :D

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok it happened again, so I reupdated the drivers. NTune says it is running at 58 degrees. I was told this could be the drivers for my monitor, so I am going to check this next. Anymore input would be greatly appreciated. This is a tricky one, since it took a little bit longer to go bad this time. :D This time it also shut itself almost right away. It has done this one other time, but usually just stays on till I manually shut it down with the power button.

Edited by dalligood7, 09 October 2010 - 06:26 PM.

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Just ran the stability test NVidia provides in their control panel, and passed with 60 passes. Still stumped.... :D