Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Microsoft Patch

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This has been out for awhile, but may provide an explanation to users of these O/Ses why they have certain problems after installing this patch :

Microsoft has admitted that users who installed the security patch for Windows 98 and ME in January are suffering from slower machines or frozen screens as a result. The MS05-002 patch was issued by Microsoft for the Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME operating systems as part of its monthly patching cycle.

The problem relates to the way the Internet Explorer browser works with the operating system. Removing the patch returns the machine to normal performance but leaves users open to security vulnerabilities, although Microsoft said it had not yet received any reports of exploits of these vulnerabilities.

More...Microsoft admits patch problem

and...Plug More Holes

According to PC World magazine (June 2005), Micro$oft is studying the problems so there is no patch for the patch.

I have had the patch installed on my PC for some time with no problems to date.

Ron

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Thanks Major Payne, great tip. :tazz: I ran across that recently myself in a google search helping somebody with some kind of problem. I have it on four machines and never had any kinda problem out of it. But I'll try to keep it in mind helping people here.

The MS05-002 patch was issued by Microsoft for the Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME operating systems as part of its monthly patching cycle.

For microsofts information on this patch see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-002 or MS05-002 Vulnerability in cursor and icon format handling could allow remote code execution

This patch shows up as KB891711 in Add/Remove Programs if anyone out there is wondering how to uninstall it.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks to you, StarHawk, for providing more links on this.

I knew I forgot something when I clicked the "Add Reply" button but couldn't remember what it was until I saw your post about where it was in the Add/Remove Programs. Meant to tell what it was called and where to check. That happens when one of my two brain cells is asleep and the other one isn't paying attention. :tazz: Good to have a backup.

Ron

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
No problem Ron.

I read your post and realized some readers wouldn't know how to uninstall. While the information you gave, MS05-002 patch, was more than enough for me to know what you were refering to, some readers would be confused by that. ;) Anyway it was an easy post and I felt it was needed. Just trying to do my job here. :tazz:

And by the way I think you're doing a great job here. I read your post. trying to learn something. Keep up the good work. ;)

Robert