Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard doesn't work but in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

ctjohnb

ctjohnb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all
I cannot get my keyboard to work, unless my pc is in safe mode ? I checked for drivers there are none missing. I did a system restore,
I bought a new keyboard, I checked every setting I could find and all seems good,I did a scan with AVG found Nothing.
So I am out of ideas other than to re-format and partions. So any other ideas and or options would be appriciated.
John

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Could you try and uninstall the driver for the keyboard, in safe mode? Hit the start button, right click computer, select properties, then select device manager, and then uninstall your keyboard driver then reboot.Your keyboard should now work in normal mode.

Edited by rockmilk, 04 October 2010 - 11:39 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
PS2 or USB connected keyboard or wireless

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 October 2010 - 01:58 PM.

ctjohnb

ctjohnb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply, Yes I did that in both the admin and normal user name. No Diff !! I am ready to just partition and format But I know there is something I'm Missing ?

ctjohnb

ctjohnb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's a USB Keyboard

I even downloaded combo fix from a buddies PC and could Not get it to open in safe mode, I even renamed the file !!

Could I just have a NASTY virus ??

Thanks
John

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Does the keyboard work in the BIOS. If NOT check BIOS setting, enable USB

Is there a PS2 connection available if so try that. If that works it is likely that it is the USB. unplug any other USB devices.
and check again, Check Start, programs, accessories, system tools, system information. check all hardware for problems conflicts etc and check USB. See this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308549

Also check usb root hub power management. Se this guide to USB problems
http://www.usbman.co...E USB Guide.htm

Run chkdsk - My Computer right click c drive, properties, tools, error checking, check now, click to check automatically fix file system errors, click start, agre to run on restart and do so. DO NOT INTERRUPT

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 October 2010 - 09:18 AM.