Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vostro 1520 Internet Don't Work

• Please log in to reply

stupidpc

stupidpc

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I was experiencing problems with Vista on my laptop. So I re-installed XP on my Vostro 1520. I re-installed all the necessary drivers and some un-necessary ones. I cant connect to the internet though. When I press connect it says "acquiring network address"... and then it says "limited or no connectivity", so I clicked on repair connection and it says it cant renew the ip. Any Ideas?

Edited by stupidpc, 03 October 2010 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Hit the start button, right click computer, select properties, then select device manager, are there any yellow explanation points next to anything.If so can you list which ones.If this is not the case then i reccomend THIS hope this helps you. :D

Tutorial for winsock xp found HERE .

stupidpc

stupidpc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hit the start button, right click computer, select properties, then select device manager, are there any yellow explanation points next to anything.If so can you list which ones.If this is not the case then i reccomend THIS hope this helps you. :D

Tutorial for winsock xp found HERE .

No explanation marks, and the winsock thing didn't change anything....

I have been trying to get this working and if I manually set the IP address I can get it to connect but the internet doesn't work and the little computer icon in the tray doesn't blink like it usually does when the internet is working. So I am pretty sure this is a ip problem. If I set the TCP setting to get the IP and DNS automatically, and check the ip using the command and "ipconfig /all" it shows my ip as 0.0.0.0. So how can I make this computer get all the network information automatically? Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks. Really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Edited by stupidpc, 05 October 2010 - 10:13 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Have you tried to flush the dns? http://www.microsoft...g.mspx?mfr=true

stupidpc

stupidpc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Have you tried to flush the dns? http://www.microsoft...g.mspx?mfr=true

Tried that before and then just tried it again now and still nothing. Anything else I could try?

Thanks.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Hello I am,sure that THIS will work for you as I cant think of anything else.If you dont want to do this than I suggest you wait for someone else to help you.I am pretty sure this will solve your current issue.

stupidpc

stupidpc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It wont let me do it. It says the file "cdrom.sys" is missing. I think it may be my disk. It has a scratch along the back of it. Can I do this without the disk? If I have service pack 3 installed can I do the same repair with service pack 2?

Edited by stupidpc, 06 October 2010 - 08:05 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Yes you will need to reinstall sp3.Try THIS prior to the repair install.
Try and clean the disc with windex.

stupidpc

stupidpc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried cleaning the disk and tried what you suggested and still it says "cdrom.sys" is missing. I know we are both running out of options but do you have any other suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dell Official Drivers list for your system and for XP are located HERE
Make sure you are installing the correct driver for your system.

stupidpc

stupidpc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've already done that... I dont know what else I can do.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I was experiencing problems with Vista on my laptop. So I re-installed XP on my Vostro 1520.

If Vista was originally on it where did the XP come from?
If XP was the original OS and Vista was a upgrade did you format and remove all partitions on the drive when you installed Vista?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Just a shot in the dark but try this. Hit the green RUN NOW button.

Edited by rockmilk, 06 October 2010 - 12:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm confused a little. I thought this was a internet connection problems. Now i see a problem with the cdrom reading the media or the media not installing correctly?