Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Turning the key, but ignition won't get engine to spin..."

• Please log in to reply

mesila

mesila

• Pip
  • 5 posts
You always see that in movies, especially when the army of rabid dogs, gene-tweaked poisonous snakes, the giant flying intelligent scorpions or the serial killer who escaped from the maximum (in)security wing and is now after Hot Female Lawyer/Juror/Reporter who instigated his imprisonment 15 years ago and now wants to grab her and practice some arcane form of medical ghastliness upon her person. She runs like a headless chicken for 15 minutes, finds her car at last, spends another 8 minutes looking for her keys and then trying to find the one key needed to start the [bleep] car. Then, rev-rev-rev, silence. Nothing. Repeat. Again and again. Nada, zilch, nyet, negatory, zero divided by itself. The Movie's Evilness Element is shambling closer. Rev, rev, nothing. Rev, rev, nothing. Cue stressy music...

Death doers are slithering all over windshield now...and then FINALLY the engine catches and car starts! and zooms right through the killer or into the abomination against nature or whatever and a chase ensues. Yawn.

The Yawn wasn't for the formulaic corny movie sequence, it's for how I'm feeling after trying to beg, browbeat and sweet-talk Max Invicta, my well-endowed Windows 7 64 bit dual processor Asus based desktop workmaster toy, into deigning to start up again.

I was moving some furniture so I shut him down earlier, unplugged him, and when I was done futzing about with the room's bloody Feng Shui and the Schmeng Schmui or whatever and I had gotten the room organized in a way it finally made sense... I again plugged in Max, attached his arms 'n' legs and eyes and ears and all that peripherality (without which he's not properly worthy of being named something so braggarty sounding as "Max Invicta") I calmly went to push the big button to start him up.

The blue lights went on behind the start button. It started to 'spin up' in there. Then it just stopped. No image ever made it to the monitor. Rev rev rev naught. Naught. Cuss. Rev...etceterata...

It took 3 or 4 - maybe 5 seconds of the button lighting up and something (the HD?) spinning and then abruptly resigning itself to not being Good Enough to spin his engine and other innards long and or strong enough to get the boot process in gear. Over and over. And then he just gives up. Now, I have, too. For a while.

I tried shunting the peripherals to other inputs. Tried removing them. Tried just cuddling with his dusty black box and softly dusting the outside cabinet and then plaintively begging Max not to play games with me now.

My 2 local techmeister friends who have the hardware acumen to possibly identify Max's problem (attitude, probably) are both unavailable, asleep, out of town, doing things I ought to be doing instead of futzing with a [bleep]y machine. But maybe he really IS sick, like maybe he needs to have his power supply out (as if it were tonsils or something.) Gods above, below, behind and ahead of me! but I dearly hope I don't end up having to do that. Those things are not premium items I suppose, but I have like, NO spare income to buy a new power supply with, if indeed that is the problem. Anticipating yet another week of Maxlessness and the sullen, far too crazy way I get when this happens. (Which, to his immense credit, AIN'T all THAT often. Counting my blessings along with my curses, natch.)

Any ideas, advice or just a few words to make me stop being psychotic about the whole thing? It never really helps to get that way of course, but that never stopped me when Max is balking about something. Which is what it feels like. One time this happened, I went out for coffee, came back and pressed the button just out of habit, and he booted right up, as if to underscore the whole "Windows is Nondeterministic" thing and let me know i needed to remember that some more. Doesn't seem to he doing that now, though. Bleah.

Thanks, ye kind Geekliness,
A Grateful and Humble Reader:
Demimonde Mesila Thraam from Beautiful Ol' Frisco
Unrepentant Psychedelitrician & Dedicated VSTi Hoarder

PS: Yeah, I name my computers, and to me they sort of have 'gender'. I know, I'm weird, tell me something I dun' already know. (Like how to get Max working again maybe...???) The only other box I have right now is the sweet old G4 iMac I inherited when Mom passed away in February, and that one parses to me as more female and so she got called Pixie. I am not sure why she got that name, but she seems to like it. She's NEVER balky like this. But alas, my giant movie collection and all my music software is on Max's hard drive. All I can do with Pixie is surf...really slooooowly.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
My head hurts.

I think you're trying to say your computer doesn't come on any more after you rearranged the room for reasons of an ancient Chinese discipline. Is that correct?

If so, then I can only presume either something's become unplugged inside inadvertently, or you haven't plugged something in when connecting "Max" back together.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
So its starts but stops a couple seconds later.

Do you hear any beeps from Max before it shuts down?

Like previously mentioned maybe something inside Max got loose (bad boy) while being moved around and now he will not start.

I would open him up and play with his internal organs a little making sure everything is well seated and not loose (sata plugs, ram, power connectors, video card, other pci device ect).

Also a more intimate description of Max would help us to help you get your bad boy back.

Model brand and name (HP, ACER, DELL ect)
if not a brand name then the motherboard model and number, usually written on the motherbaord itself (ASUS... Gygabyte... MSI... ect)
and any other information you can give us would be helpful.

Edited by Alzeimer, 04 October 2010 - 03:07 PM.

mesila

mesila

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys...

Max is running again...it turned out that there was a loose connection at the power supply which makes total sense. A good friend of mine came over and tightened it up and now Max's boot cycle is normal.

(And I am really loving Windows 7 so I am so glad I got this fixed so that I wouldn't have to be confined to the XP laptop...hahaha)

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate your care.

-Mesila