Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to use Voip with a KPN Thomson TG789 Experia box

• Please log in to reply

GramPics

GramPics

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello
This is my first time to post on this site.
I search the FAQ but I could not find any help in previous topics so I will post my own.
I live in the Netherlands and have a ADSL internet connection. I used a SMC 7404 WBRB wireless ADSL Barricade modem/router to connect to the internet. I recently started using a Siemens Gigaset C450 IP phone and this worked well with the SMC modem/router.

My telephone/internet provider KPN, offered me a TV hook-up via the telephone lines.
I received a new modem/router the Experia box Thomson TG789.
However now I can not get the Voip phone to work.
I get the error message SIP registration Failed or Server not accessable. ;)

My question is;
does anyone know how I can set up my system so that I can have internet, TV via the internet and Voip calls?

I have heard about using both modems and routers but one modem needs to be switched off. Or are there other ideas.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any replies. :D

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you still have the SMC device as well as the new KPN? or do you just use one or the other?

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello dsenette and thank you for the quick reply.

Yes I still have the SMC modem/router. I am hoping that I can hook them up one after another so that I use the SMC for the Voip and the experia for the TV. But there are so many variables IP addresses, gateways, DNS etc.
:D

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you get the Thomson and the SMC devices from the same provider? have you contacted them at all about what you're wanting to do? typically having two devices acting as routers connected at the same time is a pain in the butt (at best). having two MODEMS in line is not going to work at all (unless you can disable the modem features on one or bypass them). if the Thomson device is REQUIRED for the TV connection, and it's stated that it can be used for internet connections as well, then you should probably just use that device on it's own.

have you tried JUST using the thomson device instead of the SMC?

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello dsenette
Thank you for replying again.

I guess you need to go through the basic questions first instead of assuming that I have done these things already.
I was hoping for some replies on how to configure the modem/routers to work with the TV and voip and internet.
No the devices did not come from the same provider. I have contacted KPN who is the provider that has the TV internet and telephone bundle. That said that they have blocked the voip part on the Thomson box. Yes I did assume it would be a pain having two devices but it's a real pain paying for all our long distance calls.

having two MODEMS in line is not going to work at all (unless you can disable the modem features on one or bypass them).
This is what I am on this forum to find out not that is difficult that I know already I've been at this for weeks that is why I am asking for some technical advice.

if the Thomson device is REQUIRED for the TV connection, and it's stated that it can be used for internet connections as well, then you should probably just use that device on it's own.
You missed the point I said my Voip will not work anymore. Yes the Thomson device is REQUIRED for the TV connection, and Yes it works for use on the internet, but not the Voip.

have you tried JUST using the thomson device instead of the SMC?
Yes and ...

So my question again how can I get the Voip to work?
Do you know these modem/routers? Do you know how I can set them up together to bypass one system with IPs and gateways etc to get TV, Internet and voip to work?

Looking forward to your reply.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first, if you had taken the time to explain everything that you've already tried, then i wouldn't be asking you about things that you have tried.

second....so you're currently paying for two internet connections via your phone line? based on what you've said above it's kind of confusing.

according to the FEW hits on the internet that i can find for the Thomson device, it's listed as a VOIP gateway, so it's kind of rediculous that these guys would block that setting, or even use the device at all. unless i've found the wrong device

having a few issues getting to a manual for the Thomson that gives a detailed listing of what ports are on the back.

i have found some documentation for the SMC device. looks like it's basically got a LAN switch, and an ADSL port. the ADSL port will ONLY connect directly to the phone line, then everything past it would plug in directly to the switch ports on the SMC (LAN ports).

if you can locate a manual for the Thomson device i might be able to help figure some of this out. if it's got an actual ethernet WAN port (which isn't likely in a DSL modem) then it MIGHT be possible to fake it but it's a stretch

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
still haven't found the manual for the thomson device, but i had a think about this last night and i don't think you're going to be able to do what you're wanting to do.

since both devices are DSL modems, and from different service providers then even if you were able to hook them together, one of them would never be able to talk to it's ISP correctly. the ISP connection is expecting to be made via DSL, not via the internet. the only way you could get the two things to work would be to get another phone line installed in your home. one for each modem

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Attached File  Setup experia box and siemens voip.pdf   709.02KB   2213 downloads

Hello dsenette
Thanks for replying again.
Sorry for the confusion.
I'll try to explain it better. I have one internet provider = KPN. I bought my own modem/router a few years ago because I needed an ISDN modem and I wanted a built in router with it, this is the SMC modem/router. I had internet and a Voice over internet protocol (Voip) Siemens phone hooked up a working to this modem/router.
I also have a normal ISDN phone which is working (land line.) My internet provider = KPN offered me a package where I can also receive TV via the internet so I do not need my cable TV provider. So I cancelled the cable TV (and I only had TV via the cable nothing else.) From my internet provider = KPN I received a new Modem/router which now also provides the TV signal. Nothing changed with my internet provider or the ISDN land-line, just a new modem/router. So I still only have one internet provider = KPN, my old SMC modem/router, a new modem/router which is the = Experia box Thomson TG789, Siemens Voip phone. KPN has decided to use the Experia box Thomson TG789 to provide their customers internet connection and TV. They do not manufacture the Thomson modem/router. But I was told by the helpdesk when I could not get the voip phone to work through the new Experia box Thomson TG789, that they internally switched this off so how.
So when I remove the Experia box Thomson TG789 and plug the computer and voip phone in to the SMC modem/router I have internet and voip phone but no TV signal. When I remove the SMC modem/router and use the Experia box Thomson TG789 and plug the computer and voip phone into it I have internet, Tv signal but no voip phone.
I tried running two cables from the wall jack one to each modem/ router, to see if this would work. No luck. I tried hooking one to the wall jack and then the other via LAN or WAN or other slots but no luck.

So no I am not paying for two internet service providers.
It is not Thomson that blocked the voip part but KPN.
I have found a manual but it is in Dutch for the Experia box Thomson TG789.
Plus another manual on how to hook up the Siemens Voip phone to the Experia box Thomson TG789.
Well I hope this clears somethings up. And I do not wish for you to loss any sleep over this, ("but i had a think about this last night and i don't think you're going to be able to do what you're wanting to do")
Thanks, looking forward to your reply.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok. one way or another, since these are both DSL devices you won't be able to use them both at the same time.

given your description, the only way your TV will work is with the Thomson device. your ISP SPECIFICALLY disabled VOIP traffic on the device before shipping it to you. so you'll have to convince them to open up those ports (chances are they've actually blocked the traffic on their end and not your device). we can't really help you get around something that they did as part of their policy

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Other manual was to large to attach
here is the link it's only in Dutch but maybe you can see the connections and figure something out.

http://www.thomsonga...uide_nl_R84.pdf

Okay
until later

Advertisements

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi dsenette

" since these are both DSL devices you won't be able to use them both at the same time."
that's clear

"given your description, the only way your TV will work is with the Thomson device."

Yes

"your ISP SPECIFICALLY disabled VOIP traffic on the device before shipping it to you. so you'll have to convince them to open up those ports (chances are they've actually blocked the traffic on their end and not your device)."
What do you mean here?
It is only in the modem/router that the voip is blocked because when I switch mode/ router to SMC with their line the voip works, so I don't know how they can block it on their end only with their device and not with the SMC.

we can't really help you get around something that they did as part of their policy.
Okay if that's it then thanks for all you time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, i'm looking at the manual....which probably isn't going to help to be honest...not a clue what's going on in there

but the red port on the back of the thomson is a wan port......give this a shot...

plug your SMC device into the telephone line, then plug from the thomson's red port into one of the switch ports in the SMC device, and plug your VOIP phone into the SMC device (assuming you've not already tried this configuration)

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
That's quick
Yes I have tried many combos I can't remember if I have tried this one yet.
But my understanding is that one of the modems needs to be switched off because you can not have two running in series (or is it parallel)
And then the IP needs to change and the gateway. This is stuff that I have read from others with different devices but trying same sort of idea.

I too think that the SMC needs to be first ie closest to wall jack since the the Experia box is blocking the voip.

I will be out for the next few days so if you do come up with ideas I can try them out until Monday.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

But my understanding is that one of the modems needs to be switched off because you can not have two running in series (or is it parallel)
And then the IP needs to change and the gateway. This is stuff that I have read from others with different devices but trying same sort of idea.

ignore that until you try my above suggestion

all of that commotion depends on which of the devices you connect your computers to and how much stuff you share between said computers.

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay i will try this.
Im using the laptop now but I will see if I have time in the morning before I leave, if not it will be next week.
Thanks