Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to use Voip with a KPN Thomson TG789 Experia box

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
whenever.

Advertisements

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I had a few moments this morning to try the set up as you suggested. No luck.

I had the SMC first in line (closes to the wall jack) plugged the voip into that then from the SMC into the Thomson via the WAN red inlet. The computer and the TV signal came from the Thomson.
Neither modem/router worked. The phone would not make a connection with the internet and neither would the computer. So to my very limited knowledge it seems like when both modem/routers are hooked up they block each other.

Until later.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmmmm that's actually odd....in that physical set up, the SMC device should have worked fine (as if it were the only thing plugged in), just the thomson shouldn't have worked at that point (or could have worked)....

whenever you get back to working on this, plug in the SMC as the only modem, hook the phone and a computer to it and make sure that you can in fact connect to the internet there. then once all of that is working, hook the thomson up to the SMC (leave everything else connected to the SMC as well). at this point is everything connected directly to the SMC still working? how about the Thomson?

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi dsenette.
Okay when I get back Sunday afternoon I'll try this hook up and let you know.
Thanks

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi again Dsenette

Okay so I'm back home and I have set up the internet via the SMC and the Voip phone. I am emailing you via this set up. So we know it works

I will now
Leave the SMC plugged into the telephone line, then I'll plug from the thomson's red port into the 4th switch port in the SMC device, and leave the Voip and internet plugged into the SMC device.

See ya

hmmmm that's actually odd....in that physical set up, the SMC device should have worked fine (as if it were the only thing plugged in), just the thomson shouldn't have worked at that point (or could have worked)....

whenever you get back to working on this, plug in the SMC as the only modem, hook the phone and a computer to it and make sure that you can in fact connect to the internet there. then once all of that is working, hook the thomson up to the SMC (leave everything else connected to the SMC as well). at this point is everything connected directly to the SMC still working? how about the Thomson?

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay
So from port 4 of the SMC I have plugged the Thomson Experia box in via the red WAN port.
I am writing you now with this set up so the internet works and so does the Voip phone and the wireless network.
But the Experia box has a red light next to the internet and a flashing green next to Broadband and there is not TV signal.Posted Image

So It seems to be that no ADSL signal is getting through the SMC and to the Experia box.Posted Image

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe i was hoping this would be easy....

the Thomson won't be getting a DSL signal because it's not plugged into the phone line...however, the fact that the thing has a WAN port suggests that you should be able to get this to work somehow.

on the thomson, when you had it plugged into the wall, the phone line went into a port on the side of the red WAN port right?

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yes the phone line plugs into the Thomson box via a grey DSL port on the left of the red WAN port.

I heard that I need to some how disconnect the IP address of one of the modem/routers because they can not both be sending or searching for IPs. Is this correct?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not specifically. that's if you're going to be plugging in stuff into both routers that you want to be able to talk to each other (like if you had a computer on the SMC and one on the thomson and you wanted to share files between the two)

what i think is happening is that the firewall in the SMC router might be blocking something that the thomson needs. this would be a lot easier if your ISP would cooperate and just tell you how you can use your VOIP phone on their stupid device..

i'll attempt to look for a manual in english for the SMC contraption

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yup i agree but KPN being a telephone company does not want to make it easy for us to us Voip over there lines but no income to them I guess.
I know where the setting (in the software) is on the SMC for the firewall and it is turned off.
If this help?

I have the PC plugged into the SMC and I have a laptop that I use sometimes wireless and sometimes plugged into the router. So I will need to make sure both are plugged into the same device to share files.
Thanks for that bit of info.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok, so, just really wanting to confirm this

the SMC device came with the same KPN internet connection that you have right? you didn't switch providers, and you didn't add a provider right?

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Correct.

Only thing that changed was a new router/modem so that I can get the TV signal via internet.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...ok so basically they let you use the VOIP phone on the old modem/router but now they're being a pain about it with the new one.

this is going to be a little funky since i can't find an english manual ANYWHERE and i don't read polish/dutch/ whatever language these things are in....

IF you've got the time, i'd call KPN one more time and figure out why your VOIP phone isn't connecting on the Thomson device. make sure that they know that with your previous device (the SMC) that everything worked fine. i don't see any legitimate reason for them to have allowed the connection previously and now not allow it

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi Dsenette
What I was told by kpn, it's like xbox or other devices that can also connect to the internet, there are some functions that are just disconnected, and it's permitted.
If I don't want to be restricted from using a Voip phone then I need to use another modem/router but then I'll not be able t have a digital TV signal via the internet with them.

I also have a hard time reading dutch (I'm just here due to work) so I too would like an English manual but no such luck yet.
Okay Thanks for your effort.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, don't give up yet .... i'm going to ask for a little bit of translation assistance