Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Video Security System

• Please log in to reply

globaljoe

globaljoe

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I friend of mine bought himself a digital video recording system (second hand, but previous owner swears it worked on his system), to use with 3 security cameras that are known to work, the system is a ROHS H264 system which he wants to run from his PC, now this system requires an ATI Radeon7000 or above and Nvidia Gforce serials, the graphics card that is in his system is an S3 Graphics Inc Trio 3D, which I have never heard of and sounds ancient. The software appears to install with the graphical control panel but the cameras won't work, it throws up a message saying: IDS_ display_not_supported, and another message saying: (no supported overlay), In device manager there is a yellow question mark next to multimedia controller, do you think I would be right in blaming the ancient graphics card, I'm a little out of my depth with video security systems. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Hi globaljoe
Like you I don`t know anything about security systems but I have heard of the S3 Graphics Inc Trio 3D card you mention and it was from way back,

In device manager there is a yellow question mark next to multimedia controller

Could be a driver issue but more likely the card is not up to the job, from memory I think they were 1980s pci cards so were very basic!
Anyhow below is a link to the last drivers that were released before support was withdrawn, I hope that there is something there that can possibly get things working;
http://www.s3graphic...re_archive.aspx

SamuelDaniel

SamuelDaniel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
There could be the display card issue but your friend has to ask before purchase that the video security system which he was going to buy could support on his PC or not. I have 8 CCTV camera working at my home and 32 in my office working as a watchdog, all in very affordable price and tell your friend to re-install the drivers or check the driver specification for the CCTV cameras. If all the above doesn't work at all than buy a new video security system.

Regards,
Samuel