Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP BSOD watchdog.sys and nv4_disp.dll

• Please log in to reply

Matthew Chakera

Matthew Chakera

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
just happened again....

im now running latest nvida drivers 280.26

also latest flash player version 11 + with hardware accleration off within flash player

although hardware accleration turned on, full in control panel/display as i do alot of gaming with NO issues...

but im afraid i have no minidump again as i never got BSOD!!

help this bug is drivin me crazy !!

matthew from nottingham

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since it just happened again please post a new WhoCrashed report for me. :)

Matthew Chakera

Matthew Chakera

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
sorry i can't post a whocrashed report as NO minidump file was created, due to the fact that i never got the blue screen of death.

this is twice now that ive had this weird issue when going to web streaming sites without getting a blue screen of death, but im still getting the other issues posted in my last posts. system beeps with mouse hanging and stops responding help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Matthew Chakera

Matthew Chakera

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
how do you attach the picture as it will not let me do it!!!

Matthew Chakera

Matthew Chakera

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
sorted it .....

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask was this happening before you updated to the newest drivers? It seems after doing some research that the driver version 280.26 is having the same affect on a lot of people who update. Those that have reverted back to the version before seem to have resolved the issue.

Matthew Chakera

Matthew Chakera

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i can confirm that i was getting the same issues, when using a earlier nivida video driver which was 275. something, im not quite sure what the last 2 numbers were.

and now that im using 280.26. the issue remains the same.

using a older driver that is older than 275 would not be good for me as i do gaming on my geforce 9800 gt 1 gig graphics card.

thanks for your speedy response

matt.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it seems the issue is the card itself then.

Matthew Chakera

Matthew Chakera

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
im leaning more towards adobe flash player for being the issue, rarther than it being my 9800 gt card

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and get the correct bit version of the uninstaller.
Run it and uninstall the flash player complete.
Then go back to Adobe's website and do a fresh install of the newest flash player making sure you get the correct 32 or 64 bit version for your OS.

davexnet

davexnet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've experienced this myself recently (watchdog.sys and nv4_disp). I suspect, but not yet sure, that its HW problem.
I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the MB chipset and video card drivers before I do anything else.

I've noticed it occurs whenever any video HW acceleration is being used.
I've had a crash in Powerdvd(mpeg-2 acceleration) and mpc-hc (H.264 acceleration).
If I disable the use of HW acceleration the problem does not occur.

Nvidia 8600GT, 280.26 (but it occurred with an older driver also)

On the same box, I have another XP install, also an install of Vista and Linux; the problem has not occurred
there. However, it could just be a coincidence, I use them far less.

ALindemann

ALindemann

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

here's what seemed to help me solve the problem with my NVIDIA 8800 GT to a major extend.
I am still getting system failures like "critical directx error" but the original "NV4_DISP.DLL" crash seems to have gone.
At least I am able to play Call Of Duty 4 much longer now before the system crashes with some other error now.

What I did (since my system runs in German I will try to point to the right dialogue):
I clicked to the properties of the display and then the tab where it says "Errorhandling" or "Problemhandling" or so.

On that tab (That should be the same tab where the "hardware acceleration" is to be found.) I found a checkbox saying something like "activate Write Combining".
It was checked on and when I checked it off and restarted the system there were no more "NV4_DISP.DLL" errors.
When it was checked on it only took some minutes before the game froze and my system crashed.

Maybe you'd like to give it a try?

Greetings from Germany,
AL

Edited by ALindemann, 29 October 2011 - 06:36 AM.

Matthew Chakera

Matthew Chakera

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok it just happened after all this time and i got a minidump

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 02/12/2011 21:31:08 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120211-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x1DB0EC)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8468925, 0xFFFFFFFFAA9502F8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

fona

fona

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thanks to ALindemann post : http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/287742-xp-bsod-watchdogsys-and-nv4-dispdll/page__view__findpost__p__2077048
it really helps to me as i got the same problem on 9400gt