Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing

• Please log in to reply

psychoe

psychoe

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently had Cogeco's F Secure AV software ( Cogeco F-Secure )and uninstalled it. When I went back to check the folders, they were still there and I couldn't delete them. The message I got was:

Cannot delete domainNames.dat: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is currently not in use.

I have tried deleting in safe mode and it gave me the same message. Cogeco's tech department had only 1 suggestion - system restore to the point before it was installed. He said that it was a pc problem.

Questions I have:
1. I don't know much about system restore - will I lose anything (documents, games, etc)?
2. Can these files (there is more than just the one) be deleted without using system restore?
3. What kind of prob could I have with the pc?

Thanks all,

E!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
System restore will not affect anything in My Documents or folders within My documents. however, any programs that were installed AFTER the chosen restore point will have to re-installed after the restore is done. You might also want to try this if you just want to delete those files which Windows is preventing you from doing. Open a command prompt window. Now open task manager and in the 'processes' list, highlight EXPLORER.EXE and end that process. Your desktop icons and taskbar will disappear. Now in the command prompt window, navigate to the folder where those files are and type DEL *.* and press enter. Now open task manager again, click LOG OFF then log on again. Check that folder which contained those files and they should have gone. You should now also be able to delete the folder if it's empty.

psychoe

psychoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried and I got "access denied"

E!