Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Hardware Problem

• Please log in to reply

legna

legna

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Whenever my pc is on for a while, the blue circle just goes round and round, then all icons on desktop disappeared and pc just froze there.
At times, when circle goes round and round and if I am able to restart, I tried to restart BUT the logging off just hangs there and I
Just manually power off...reboot in safe mode, load all drivers and restart again.......as it did not shut down properly previously....

At times, the whole screen blacked out, I then force shut and all lights on the console lighted up including the power button when the pc is OFF.

This hardware problem exists on the day I bought this Asus laptop last year. What bad luck to buy a defective laptop.
In fact, i discovered this on the 2nd day I bought this and sent it to the Asus repair centre. However, it seems hopeless.....the problem still exist.

I had already sent my laptop 3 times for repair but to no avail.

Very frequently, the blue screen came up which says that a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
prevent damage to your pc.

Your assistance is kindly appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first run chkdsk...instructions are here...
Warning...Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process when it is used with the /r switch, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.

there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...

if that doesn't fix the problem...run sfc /scannow

legna

legna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Before I start with the chdsk, can you kindly let me know the steps to running sfc /scannow in vista, just in case.

Thanks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to the run box and type in cmd
instead of hitting the Enter key press Ctrl+Shift + Enter You will be prompted with the obnoxious User Account Control dialog… but it will then open up a command prompt in Administrator mode...then type in sfc /scannow

legna

legna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
will run chdsk later and let u know.

legna

legna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
After running chdsk, the blue circle still goes round and round, pc hangs, have to force shut power.
Then reboot in safe mode, wait for driver files to load, go to desktop to restart.

This hardware problem + blue screen already exist on the 1st day that I bought my laptop!

As for the blue screen, it may still exist as it appear as and when it fancies.

Have not performed the sfc /scannow yet.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Go to Start and type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
Expand the Windows logs heading...select the Application log file entry
Double click on the Source column header.
Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7) (winlogon for XP).
Copy and paste the results into your next post.
then run sfc /scannow

legna

legna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
After I double click the source,I see lots of error and WMI at the side...

I don't quite get what you mean. My pc is vista...so what should I do?
I also see lots of winlogon......how can i paste the results??
I don't think there are any results.

U mean the results will be reflected in general or details?

Here are 2 printscreens
No1
No2

I have no choice but to force close the pc as the screen cannot close.
It says you must close all dialog boxes before u close event viewer.

But I do not have any thing opened on my desktop!!!

I then force shut but it cannot be done. Screen says there are some property dialog boxes open....What's that??
I then choose press to sbut down.

Then restarted pc.