Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

data execution prevention alerts

• Please log in to reply

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

How about trying a sfc /scannow from the run box, lets make sure your Windows files are in tact.

"files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache. insert your windows xp cd now."

"retry" -> "cd is wrong" [i don't have a cd, it's a hidden partition on my drive]

"cancel" -> "are you sure ...skip this file"? -> "yes" a few times

waiting...

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Create a recovery CD and try again. The required dll's should be on there.

Or borrow one if possible.

Edited by diabillic, 05 October 2010 - 02:29 PM.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
a recovery cd of the hidden partition? i have 2 dvds, plus a backup on an external hd...
(if you didn't mean that, sorry, please elaborate).

edit: it finished, i didn't get a report or anything. had to skip 8 files.

Edited by korhinta, 05 October 2010 - 02:52 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What are the two DVD`s please.
There is a way round system file checker without the XP CD, but it means a registry edit to change the registry entry to point the SFC to the i386 folder.
It is not easy and you would have to find the folder in your recovery partition or easier is to borrow a XP CD it must be the same edition, ie: Professional to Professional. Home to Home.

Here are the instructions - but MY ADVICE is s till the same as I gave you originally. with DEP. If it causes no further problems, having allowed the programme through DEP and there are no updates or newer editions of the program, leave it. If it causes problems or DEP intervens with other matters, then post back and we will continue with other exmainations.

we are going to run System File Checker... to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.
but first make sure that you can view protected files...
click on...My Computer....Tools...Folder Options....View...
Uncheck...Hide protected operating system files...

Click Start...type in...Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow
note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take....

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens put the xp cd in the cd drive...

Then rerun the scan...
if you do not have the CD scroll down to HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS for instructions...

Once the scan is complete...Check for Windows Updates... After using the File Protection Service you will need to reapply some updates.....
reboot and let me know how its running
if everythings OK.. rehide the protected files...

click on...My Computer....Tools...Folder Options....View...
check...Hide protected operating system files...

==================
HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS
Windows Protection Files are usually stored in:C:WINDOWS/System32/Dllcache
C: in most cases is the root drive...yours may be different...

The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you...

click on... My Computer ... Tools .. Folder Options ... View ...
uncheck.... Hide protected operating system files....

There is normally no need for the original XP CD to be inserted as your computer has a copy it can get hold of in this cache.

if the Dllcache folder or part of it has become corrupted then you will be prompted for the XP CD ... so your computer can get a clean copy...

not ALL installations of Windows XP have ALL the system files cached into this folder... You may only have around 25-50MB of files in this folder under Windows XP depending on the settings in the registry.
note ...mine has 433MB in it

HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS
borrow a friend or coworkers retail copy of xp...it has to be the same version that you have installed... either home or pro ..or have them put a copy of the I386 folder on a cd for you ...then proceed to Step 1

As well as having a cache of all the system files on your PC, you should have the I386 folder from the XP CD installed on your hard drive. After doing this, it is quite simple to modify the registry to tell it the source path for these files.

This prevents 99% of requests for the the XP CD with Windows File Protection and the I386 folder also contains many other files that are sometimes needed by the operating system and this stops those requests for the XP CD...

HOW TO PUT I386 ON YOUR ROOT DRIVE:

Step 1

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called: I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C: so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:I386

Step 2

Your computer needs to know that you now have the necessary files on your PC. This is done by editing the registry. Here's how...type in regedit in the Run box on the start menu...

By navigating to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft /Windows/ CurrentVersion/ Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C: Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change to the drive letter of your root drive, probably C:

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again

WITH ACK to HAPPYROCK

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 October 2010 - 03:19 PM.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
instead of disc formatting i have a "magic button" which returns the compu to its factory settings, from a hidden partition on my hd. this is protected, and i have no way of accessing it (i think), but i have copied it on 2 dvds, and also on my external hd (both when i got the fear that my internal hd might be failing).

didn't "i" pass the registry scan?

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Here are the instructions - but MY ADVICE is s till the same as I gave you originally. with DEP. If it causes no further problems, having allowed the programme through DEP and there are no updates or newer editions of the program, leave it. If it causes problems or DEP intervens with other matters, then post back and we will continue with other exmainations.

i'm with you on that, especially since i don't have a win xp cd, or know anyone nearby who does.

which program shall i "allow through the dep"?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do not return to factory settings, as you will lose all programs, personal data and will be back to how it was when it was sold with all Service Packs and updates to install.

If I have asked before, forgive me, what is the make and model of the computer

Is the computer time correct, even when it is shut down and restarted. You have a w32tm error, but this is not important unless part of a network of computers.

Did you install WMM 2.1 from Microsoft download or a 3rd party mirror.
and I presume it is 2.1 Click Help on Movie Maker, click About Movie Maker it will list the version.

I realise that it reported not dirty but I think we will run chkdsk anyway.
See this and follow graphical interface instructions
http://vlaurie.com/c...cles/chkdsk.htm
checking ONLY automatically fix file system errors

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 October 2010 - 04:41 PM.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Do not return to factory settings, as you will lose all programs, personal data and will be back to how it was when it was sold with all Service Packs and updates to install.

it's no problem, i 've done it already this year (see first post). as long as microsoft gives xp updates i'm ok.

If I have asked before, forgive me, what is the make and model of the computer

acer aspire 5633wlmi laptop

Is the computer time correct, even when it is shut down and restarted. You have a w32tm error, but this is not important unless part of a network of computers.

i have uk time on my laptop, which is one hour back from local time. what about all the other errors?

Did you install WMM 2.1 from Microsoft download or a 3rd party mirror.
and I presume it is 2.1 Click Help on Movie Maker, click About Movie Maker it will list the version.

2.1/5.1 -see attachment. i didn't install it, it's part of the hidden partition...

I realise that it reported not dirty bu I think we will run chkdsk anyway.
See this and follow graphical interface instructions
http://vlaurie.com/c...cles/chkdsk.htm
checking ONLY automatically fix file system errors

ok, will report back.

edit: the checkdisc link is not working, but i know how to run one. (just fyi)

thanks again :D

Edited by korhinta, 05 October 2010 - 04:53 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After chkdsk and depending of course on what is reported I can only suggest that you work your way through, opening each program and then when
DEP occurs, immediately check Event Viewer, so you know exactly which error message relates to that occurrence.

I have found some reports of Gomer causing crashes, but that said, there are of course reports of most programs causing crashes, when in fact it is not the program per se, but another error somewhere that is activated by the program.

If you find it is Gomer, I would recommend VLC, it is considered by many to be one of the best.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
the checkdisc ran so fast i didn't have time to look at the blue screen before the compu switched back on, please remind me where i look for the log...

i've had gom player for almost 4 years now, and no deps until six months ago.
i know vlc, had it installed for a while a few years back but rarely used it.

but the event viewer is a good idea, will remember to take a look next time.

thanks again for all your time and suggestions so far.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Event Viewer, which is in Control Panel Administartive functions and then in event veiwer, application and wiunlogon entry.
Double click the winlogon entry and you will have the chkdsk results.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 October 2010 - 06:19 AM.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
thanks. :D

chkdisc log(s) attached.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No problems there with chkdsk. All in order.
My final advice, unless something else raises an issue with DEP is to follow post 4..

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 October 2010 - 12:30 PM.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
thanks. i have my money on that, for the moment:

I can only suggest that you work your way through, opening each program and then when
DEP occurs, immediately check Event Viewer, so you know exactly which error message relates to that occurrence.

i'll report back with the next dep.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
hello again,

i haven't had another data execution prevention since my last post, (un)fortunately, but today my compy froze, i got the blue screen of death, it restarted itself, ran a disc check, and when it swithched back on i got a "the system has recovered from a serious error" pop up (see attachment), and the microsoft windows error reporting page on my firefox. i followed the steps and got no alarming results.

if someone can shed some light on the info in my attachment, and/or tell me if it relates to my dep alerts, and if it should be ok now, i'd appreciate it.

thanks.

:D