Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

data execution prevention alerts

• Please log in to reply

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
[please read the previous post too, as it's still unanswered]

i got a data execution prevention just now, it shows up as 2 errors in event viewer, one as "category:(100)", the other as "none". i attach screenshots of both.

thanks in advance for any info/insight/advice.

:D

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

Do not return to factory settings, as you will lose all programs, personal data and will be back to how it was when it was sold with all Service Packs and updates to install.

it's no problem, i 've done it already this year (see first post). as long as microsoft gives xp updates i'm ok.

If you are not worried about reformatting then go for that (backup your data first). This is the best and fastest repair for conditions like your's. You probably have a bad program or driver which are difficult tio locate. Wipe the whole thing and that's that.

Just before you do that please run a RAM test. Download Microsoft's memory test utility from here, follow the instructions and run the test. This is very important! If you have RAM problems, even minor, you will get, after formatting, the same problems that you have now.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

If you are not worried about reformatting then go for that (backup your data first). This is the best and fastest repair for conditions like your's. You probably have a bad program or driver which are difficult tio locate. Wipe the whole thing and that's that.

Just before you do that please run a RAM test. Download Microsoft's memory test utility from here, follow the instructions and run the test. This is very important! If you have RAM problems, even minor, you will get, after formatting, the same problems that you have now.

i have formatted, many times, and it didn't fix anything. or it did, and then i re-installed the program that causes the problem? (read the first post)

will try the RAM test, thank you very much! :D

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you finish with the RAM test please let us know what the results are.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
i got another dep today, which shows up as 6(!) errors in event viewer...
i attach a multi-screenshot, if anyone can explain it to me.

thanks. :D

Edited by korhinta, 18 October 2010 - 03:19 PM.

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
i ran the RAM diagnostic cd, 6 of 6 tests, 2 passes, "no errors have been found"...

now what?

korhinta

korhinta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
after the "...needs to close" and "error reporting" popups, i followed a link to a microsoft windows error reporting page, with the following message:

Address a problem with DivX™ Codec
DivX™ Codec has stopped working properly.
DivX, Inc. is aware of this problem and working as quickly as possible to make a solution available.

so i'm hoping...

any (other) insights?