Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random shutdown after POST

• Please log in to reply

Ddrizzt87

Ddrizzt87

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, everyone. Hopefully I placed this in the right sub-forum. Today I spent a while reapplying thermal paste
to my cpu and my gpu, cleaning my fans, and performing general maintenance on the guts of my machine. I was
originally trying to solve a heat issue stemming from my video card. I installed an extra case fan, a card fan, and
finally the SPP active fan on the mobo that I had stupidly neglected to do when I first built my machine. At any rate
after doing all of this I started up my machine. It went through post and then abruptly shut down. I tried again and
this time it got far enough to tell me that it couldn't find boot manager. I made sure my HDD were properly connected
and tried again with the same result,the computer shutting off randomly during all of this. I tried to give booting
from my windows 7 disc a try to fix the boot manager problem but soon after the disc began to load it would shutdown again.
I'm not really sure what to do next. I humbly submit myself to brighter minds than my own.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If you can get it to run long enough ...

In the BIOS is there a screen that shows you the CPU temp? If so, what it is?

Ddrizzt87

Ddrizzt87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
SpywareDr,
Thanks for your reply. I checked the bios temp. monitors and as it turns out my cpu jumps to something like 112c/234f and then
the system shuts down. I'm guessing that this might be where my problem is. Should I reapply thermal paste?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Forgive me for asking but you did re-connect the processor fan didn`t you!
If you did, take the side of the case and make sure that the fan is working,
do the same with the other fans.
If you cleaned off the old TIM and prepared the CPU and HS properly before
re-applying the new and correct amount of arctic silver 5 or what ever you
used that should not be the cause.

Ddrizzt87

Ddrizzt87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
phillpower2,
thanks for your reply. I did plug back in the fan for the processor, yes, and it seems to be working fine so
that leads me to believe I incorrectly reapplied AS5. I'm going to give reapplication a go to see if that
doesn't fix the problem. Is the general consensus that this is a cpu heat problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
With the way the CPU temp shot up like that possible causes 1: Fan not working 2: Faulty MB thermal sensor 3: The TIM application or HS not seated properly, only my thoughts by the way.

Ddrizzt87

Ddrizzt87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
After reapplying the thermal paste the cpu is now sitting at 33c. So...obviously that's a significant improvement in
temperature. Also, the machine is staying on now so hopefully the problem is fixed.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
That is good news and thank you for posting the update so others may learn.
TIMs such as Arctic Silver 5 are an invaluable resource but too much or not
enough can cause all sorts of problems.
Hope it all works out for you and please let us know when you consider the
issue is fully resolved.