Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First home-build, First bootup questions

• Please log in to reply

4Orbs

4Orbs

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'll be assembling my first home-built desktop in a few days. Don't want it to explode on the first boot, so I'm wondering:

Can I boot straight into the new pcie graphics card, or should I use the onboard graphics for first boot and installing the os?

Can I create a partition table and partitions on the raw hard disk (using gparted) before booting into the Windows 7 OEM dvd install disk?

Does it matter whether I hook up the monitor to hdmi or vga for first boot (23 inch HD LED monitor)?

Is it ok to use the computer for several hours straight after installing the os, or should I shut it down after only 20 minutes the first few times (y'know, like breaking-in a new 454 cu.in. V-8)?

Can I allow Windows Update to do the initial drivers installation, and then later myself install the most current drivers from the individual vendors?

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Can I boot straight into the new pcie graphics card, or should I use the onboard graphics for first boot and installing the os?

I'd use the new graphics card.

Can I create a partition table and partitions on the raw hard disk (using gparted) before booting into the Windows 7 OEM dvd install disk?

Yes.

Does it matter whether I hook up the monitor to hdmi or vga for first boot (23 inch HD LED monitor)?

I'd try the HDMI.

Is it ok to use the computer for several hours straight after installing the os ... ?

Yes.

Can I allow Windows Update to do the initial drivers installation, and then later myself install the most current drivers from the individual vendors?

Yes.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Hi 40rbs, :D

SpywareDr has answered your questions and I'll add my 2 bobs worth.

While you are waiting for your parts to arrive I recommend you read this, > http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ which will give you some basic knowledge for your first build.

Before you start the build, read all the manuals, (bit of a pain) then take your time, don't rush to get it done in a couple of hours. Your case will probable come with pre installed stand offs, (little posts that the Mobe screws onto) Pay particular attention that they match exactly the holes in the Mobo and there are no extra ones left under the board otherwise they will short out the board and it will fail to post.

The first time you switch on, the screen will have very low settings and will not look good until the graphics drivers are installed.

gparted. Are you confident in using a command line interface?

How about posting your specs?

Even if you do not need any more help, please post back the results of your adventure.

4Orbs

4Orbs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the quick replies. I've been enjoying this forum for a couple of days now. Wish I had found it a long time sooner.

It has become obvious to me that I should have done a lot more research before ordering the parts for my new build. After placing the order, I started looking more closely at other options and realized that I could have gotten a better setup for only a few dollars more. But I intend to continue with the original pieces and maybe upgrade things later on, if necessary. Here are the parts, in transit now:

CPU: AMD Phenom X3 8850 @ 2.5 ghz (triple core, older version Phenom, locked.)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M (came with the processor as a discounted bundle. $130 for both.)
RAM: Crucial DDR2 800 mhz (4 gigs total... 4x1gb sticks... two matched pairs. $90)
Storage: WD Caviar Black 500 gb sata2... $55
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770... $150
PSU: Ultra LSP 550 - 550 watt... not modular
DVD: Lite-On IHAS 124-04 burner... $20
Case: Ultra X-Blaster ATX Mid-tower (bundled with the psu... both for $80)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake TR2-R1... $15
Monitor: Hannspree HF237HPB 23", HD, widescreen... $160
Wireless: Sabrent PCI-G802 pci card... $15
Also: 2 case fans and some patch cables... $20

So all of this plus tax and shipping came to a grand total of $933 U.S. dollars, which seems like a fair deal, assuming everything works properly.

I'm a casual gamer. Maybe not even casual (my favorite games are still Diablo2 and the original Halo), but I might look into some that are more current. I do occasionally rip a dvd and re-encode to xvid or h264, so the tri-core processor should be an improvement over my current pentium 4. Someday I might dabble in overclocking (if I decide to upgrade the cpu to a Phenom Black Edition).

To be honest, I feel that this new build will be such an improvement over my current old system that I'll probably never upgrade anything. Although that idea is subject to change at any time.

EDIT: Actually, I could have gotten a better setup for less money... should have done more research before ordering the parts.

About partitioning the raw hard disk: I'll be using the gparted live cd which gives a nice graphical interface to work with. Intend to dual-boot or triple-boot Windows 7 and various Linux distros. Great fun in distro hopping.

Edited by 4Orbs, 05 October 2010 - 06:26 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Yes a good deal.

I got conned with an Asus board which I got because of the Express gate. Boards WITHOUT integrated wi-fi have to be hard wired to the internet even if you install an add on card. Read the manual for the Sabrent card as you might have to install the software before installing the card.

Consider installing a 2nd hard drive, keep the OS, programs on the 1st C drive. All data on the 2nd drive with a Small partition at the end to store an image of the C drive. Maybe use a drive from your existing computer.

I don't think either your Mobo or case comes with an internal system speaker so you will not be able to hear BIOS beeps, this is what I am talking about, > http://www.cwc-group.com/8ohm.html you my have one in your old computer. I usually salvage them from old systems or from my local repair shop.

Edited by iammykyl, 05 October 2010 - 08:26 PM.

4Orbs

4Orbs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the advice.

I do have an old, old case in storage somewhere that I will salvage the system beep-speaker from. Didn't even think about that beforehand.

Eventually will get a second hard drive for media and backup image. I'll be using an external usb hdd until then.

I was planning on keeping the new system hard-wired into the router and using the wifi card in my old desktop in another room for the wife and kids to enjoy... it is old but still works nicely. If I understand you correctly, I'll need to keep the old system hard-wired to the router while installing the wifi software and card, then I'll be able to move it elsewhere and connect to the router without the wire?

EDIT: After re-reading your reply... I think you were saying that the Express Gate system doesn't work with an add-on wireless card. That sounds more likely because Express Gate system loads before the pci slots are awake. My plan is to look at Express Gate one time and then disable it in BIOS. It sounds like a nice feature for some people, and I like the ability to turn it on or off. Hopefully my old desktop will have no problems romancing the wifi adapter card. And if I ever decide to go wireless with my new desktop, I hope the network connection doesn't depend on Express Gate to function correctly. But it sounds as if that is the situation I'll be stuck with.

Edited by 4Orbs, 05 October 2010 - 11:26 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

If I understand you correctly, I'll need to keep the old system hard-wired to the router while installing the wifi software and card, then I'll be able to move it elsewhere and connect to the router without the wire

No need to keep the connection to the router. Just install the software, shut down, install the card, restart the computer. configure the settings.

When you get your 2nd hard drive, move the My Documents folder to it.

On your new computer after the boot loader screen you get the Express Gate screen with a selection of tasks you can perform, if you do not want anything, your OS is loaded. This is odd though, If you have a direct connection to your router, Express gate still works without loading the OS, but will not connect through an add on card.

Connection to the internet does NOT depend on Express Gate so you will not have a problem with either a LAN line or a wi-fi card if you install one.

4Orbs

4Orbs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm so happy. The parts for my new computer arrived yesterday afternoon and I spent a few hours putting the pieces together... probably could have assembled it in an hour's time, but I messed around a lot admiring the components, drinking coffee and double checking all the procedures.

First bootup was quick with no errors or problems. Popped in the PartedMagic live cd and formatted the hard drive for Windows 7, Linux and a storage partition. The triple core processor is better and faster than I had expected it to be. The Ultra X-blaster case is much nicer and prettier than I expected and came with the system beep-speaker installed. The psu is a nice looking unit and stays very cool. The widescreen monitor looks fabulous but the built-in speakers don't deliver much volume. Motherboard, ram, cpu cooler, video card all installed with no problem and work as they should.

This computer is a real hot-rod and such an improvement compared to my 8 year-old pentium 4 system... I'm more than completely satisfied, it just blew my mind.

Many thanks to the geeks-to-go forums for the assistance and the great how-to for home built systems.

EDIT: The BIOS screen doesn't fit the widescreen monitor, but is still usable. Hope a bios update will fix that screen resolution problem. It's the only thing I can complain about at this time.

Edited by 4Orbs, 07 October 2010 - 04:35 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
:D Congratulations and well done.

Thanks for posting the results, always good to hear of a successful build.