Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please tell me how to prevent accidentally moving a folder into a diff

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi. Have you ever while browsing through your folder system accidentally clicked and dragged a folder (or file) into a different folder, thus moving it to a new location without meaning to?

This has happened to me enough times for me to try and figure out a solution for how to prevent this from happening. Most times I notice this as it happens and so apart from the nuisance of having to move the folder back to its proper location - no harm done. Yet, recently it seems I accidentally moved a folder by dragging it into another folder and unfortunately this happened without me noticing. Eventually I found it, but it did cause some panic and confusion.

I'm guessing there is a way to have Windows prompt me before moving a folder, just like it does before deleting a file/folder. Can someone clue me on how to do this? Or if there is a better prevention method for the above, please let me know.

T-h-a-n-k-s

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There is NO way of doing this in XP that is already provided by Microsoft.
You can do it by installing a script file - according to my research.
May I suggest if you have another "query" like this, as against the PROBLEM you had with the AV files, that you simply google it yourself.
You can of course in Control Panel, mouse switch over the buttons, but I presume if you can do it by accident on the left button, whereas the right button asks for confirmation, you can then, having switched them, do the same by accident on the other button.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
hello macboatmaster
thanks for the reply.
actually i did google my question before posting, but only found results addressing the issue within a network. The solutions had to do with creating security rules for network users.
i didn't come across a solution involving a script file. is that complicated to do? where does one find such a script?
(btw, i just googled keywords: windows xp script file confirm move folder - couldn't find anything that looked useful)

thx!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have changed my opinion on this. I do not now think it can be done to have effect in Windows Explorer.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 October 2010 - 11:20 AM.